Do you stay in hospital overnight for a smas facelift?

Thinking of having a facelift soon and Im concerned about pain management, my question is do you stay in hospital overnight or go home the same day after smas facelift? I'm in Melbourne Australia

Overnight stay after facelift

It really depends on the surgeon. Many surgeon's will send their patients home with a nurse, some have other facilities that can care for them overnight, including hospitals. 

Local Anaesthetic Facelift to create a natural look and soften jawline

Thank you for your question.  I have pioneered a revolutionary technique call The Concept™ Face and neck lift. This is a local anaesthetic procedure I provide to my patients is suitable for patients wanting to reduce sagging in the lower face and neck and regain a more natural, rejuvenated appearance.  It targets the jowls and neck, creating a contour and smoother appearance.  As the procedure is performed under local anaesthetic you can go home the same day and their are no additional anaesthetic or hospital fees. Overall the Concept Facelift procedure is less invasive than a traditional facelift and there is less scarring, bruising and swelling for a significantly quicker recovery period. The Concept facelift procedure targets the muscle and skin therefore giving a longevity of 7-10 years, the same as a traditional facelift. It can be combined with other procedures as well.

Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.  All The Best 

Overnight stay after SMAS facelifting

From a pain management standpoint, after a SMAS facelift, staying in a hospital overnight afterward would offer you minimal benefit.  Pain after a facelift in my patients is well managed with Tylenol/Motrin/ and occasionally judicial use of oral vicodin-type medications. If you have a companion who can stay with you the first night at home, generally the rest and comfort after the surgery will be superior at home.

Do I Need to Stay Overnight for Facelift? #facelift

• My patients do not stay overnight after their facelifts.
  • Interestingly, the vast majority of facelift patients do not report having very much pain after their operation. 
  • In fact, most of my patients only take narcotics for a day or two. 
  • Best of luck to you!

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  Conversely, following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.  An overnight hospital stay isn't required but we do send our facelift and other surgical patients to an after care facility where many different levels of pain medication/management are available.  One of the many advantages of the minimally, invasive type of SMAS facelift is that is isn't anywhere near as uncomfortable as the more invasive type facelifts.

Hope this helps.

SMAS facelift recovery

In the US most facelifts are performed as outpatient procedures, i.e. not requiring hospitalization.  From a pain control perspective most patients  are managed with oral pain meds and do not require parenteral or injected pain medication. I am sure however that your surgeon has the ability to admit you to a facility for the first 24 hours post-operatively.  Regards. Dr. Kiener

Facelift - postoperative pain

if your procedure can be considered as an outpatient or inpatient procedure depends which type of anesthesia will be used, the length of your surgery, how extensive your procedure will be,  and your overall medical health. In our practice healthy  patients stay usually 1 night in the hospital after a full face/neck lift. The procedure itself is not perceived as that painful by most patients. But since the perception of pain, can vary quiet a bit from patient to patient good pain control should be ensured. 

Kind regards

Bianca Knoll

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Is there an overnight stay in hospital after a SMAS facelift?

A SMAS facelift could potentially be done with or without an overnight stay in the hospital.  The decision would be up to the surgeon.  For my patients, I do normally have them spend one night in the hospital before going home.  Your surgeon may have a different routine.  Most patients do not have significant pain after a facelift.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon