Do you stay in hospital overnight for a smas facelift?

Thinking of having a facelift soon and Im concerned about pain management, my question is do you stay in hospital overnight or go home the same day after smas facelift? I'm in Melbourne Australia

SMAS facelift recovery

In the US most facelifts are performed as outpatient procedures, i.e. not requiring hospitalization.  From a pain control perspective most patients  are managed with oral pain meds and do not require parenteral or injected pain medication. I am sure however that your surgeon has the ability to admit you to a facility for the first 24 hours post-operatively.  Regards. Dr. Kiener

Facelift - postoperative pain

if your procedure can be considered as an outpatient or inpatient procedure depends which type of anesthesia will be used, the length of your surgery, how extensive your procedure will be,  and your overall medical health. In our practice healthy  patients stay usually 1 night in the hospital after a full face/neck lift. The procedure itself is not perceived as that painful by most patients. But since the perception of pain, can vary quiet a bit from patient to patient good pain control should be ensured. 

Kind regards

Bianca Knoll

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Is there an overnight stay in hospital after a SMAS facelift?

A SMAS facelift could potentially be done with or without an overnight stay in the hospital.  The decision would be up to the surgeon.  For my patients, I do normally have them spend one night in the hospital before going home.  Your surgeon may have a different routine.  Most patients do not have significant pain after a facelift.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon