Do you stay in hospital overnight for a smas facelift?

Thinking of having a facelift soon and Im concerned about pain management, my question is do you stay in hospital overnight or go home the same day after smas facelift? I'm in Melbourne Australia

Do You Stay In Hospital Overnight for SMAS Facelift? You Need Care After Facelift

A traditional rhytidectomy, which includes repositioning and tightening of the SMAS, is surgery that will require 1-2 weeks of recovery time. I recommend that my patients either remain overnight in our private recovery suite with a dedicated nurse to change the dressings or go home with someone they trust to help with simple wound care.  I check all patients the next morning to make sure your healing is progressing well.

Some patients opt to go home directly after their procedure. In these cases, you need to pre-arrange for someone to pick you up and drive you home, plus help take care of you during those first 24 to 48 hours. I hope this helps.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Recovery

Thank you for your question. Usually, Plastic surgeons will preform the procedure and a family member will take them home that day.  
Recovery time will vary from person to person. To help with healing, you will be asked to keep your head elevated as much as possible. Also, you will be told to avoid Aspirin and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications as well as smoking because this may delay the healing process.

Be aware that once your bandages and drains are removed, you may notice bruising, discoloration, and even some unevenness. This is normal and will resolve the coming weeks following your procedure. Usually, swelling will alleviate within 24-48 hours while bruising may take up to two weeks. Occasionally, you will notice numbness at the surgical site, this should resolve itself within several months. Within a week of surgery, you will have your stitches removed.

If you are feeling concerned about how long the healing process may take, you may want to look into a MACS facelift. This modern procedure usually allows patients back in public within three weeks with possibly only minor bruising. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Hospital Stay After Face Lift?

Staying over night  will depend on your surgeon. Depending on how much surgery is included with your face lift will also make a difference. Face lift surgery for the most part is not painful, most patients feel tightness with the swelling, but minimal pain is controlled with pain medication, and is usually only needed for a couple of days. Hopefully your surgeon is Board Certified and you have confidence in him/her to determine if an over night stay is recommended for you.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Face lift

Face lift is not a painful surgery, most of the patients feel comfortable going home after surgery, unless there are medical issues that need to be dealt in hospital. 

Ali Totonchi, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and post-op care

I routinely perform facelifts in my fully accredited office operating room and then patients go home with a family member or a nurse after surgery.  

Where to stay after a facelift

Thanks for your question. My patients always go home after a facelift. We see you back the next day to take off your post-operative dressing. Pain is usually minimal- acetaminophen and ibuprofen are frequently all that is needed. You'll feel surprisingly good. Good luck with your surgery!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelifts are Typically Outpatient Procedures

Facelifts and ancillary procedures are usually performed as outpatients in a surgery center. However, a one night stay in post-operative care facility may be advisable in some cases. Local #anesthetic combined with intravenous sedation is usually used. This will allow the patient to sleep through most of the procedure. General #anesthesia is available upon request but usually is not necessary. 

Overnight stay after facelift

It really depends on the surgeon. Many surgeon's will send their patients home with a nurse, some have other facilities that can care for them overnight, including hospitals. 

Ronald Schuster, MD

Local Anaesthetic Facelift to create a natural look and soften jawline

Thank you for your question.  I have pioneered a revolutionary technique call The Concept™ Face and neck lift. This is a local anaesthetic procedure I provide to my patients is suitable for patients wanting to reduce sagging in the lower face and neck and regain a more natural, rejuvenated appearance.  It targets the jowls and neck, creating a contour and smoother appearance.  As the procedure is performed under local anaesthetic you can go home the same day and their are no additional anaesthetic or hospital fees. Overall the Concept Facelift procedure is less invasive than a traditional facelift and there is less scarring, bruising and swelling for a significantly quicker recovery period. The Concept facelift procedure targets the muscle and skin therefore giving a longevity of 7-10 years, the same as a traditional facelift. It can be combined with other procedures as well.

Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.  All The Best 

Overnight stay after SMAS facelifting

From a pain management standpoint, after a SMAS facelift, staying in a hospital overnight afterward would offer you minimal benefit.  Pain after a facelift in my patients is well managed with Tylenol/Motrin/ and occasionally judicial use of oral vicodin-type medications. If you have a companion who can stay with you the first night at home, generally the rest and comfort after the surgery will be superior at home.

David Hartman, MD, FACS
Canton Facial Plastic Surgeon