Can a high smas facelift, lift corners of upper lip/corner of mouth? Can it improve or reverse a bad midface lift?

High SMAS turns the corners of the mouth up

I like the high SMAS facelift to elevate the corners of the mouth without stretching the mouth out wider.  This operation is one tight control and strong power.  The jowls should be gone, the corner of the mouth up, and the jawline clean.

SMAS Facelift Can Improve Facial Shape

Lifting the SMAS can improve the look of your lower face, including drooping mouth corners. Performed expertly, it can be used to revise an unsatisfactory mid-face lift. Be sure to work with a facial plastic surgeon who takes the time to evaluate your anatomy properly and find a solution that looks harmonious and natural. I hope this helps.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

SMAS lift

I'm sorry about your disappointing results.  To really help answer your question, an in person exam or at least several pictures would be needed.  But, SMAS manipulation can alter different aspects of the facial contour depending on the vector of pull applied.  There are many different techniques that could be employed to correct sub-optimal facelfit results.

Guy Cappuccino, MD
Mount Airy Plastic Surgeon

SMAS Facelift

Hi There, 

Traditionally a high SMAS deep plane facelift can provide lift to the midface if an extended dissection is performed. An extended dissection can lift and alleviate the nasolabial folds, marionette lines, and corners of the mouth. This can often provide a lasting result with natural contours. 

Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD

Lifting corners

I agree with the surgeons below.  I would only add that the SMAS can be used in many different ways to address specific concerns such as areas of volume loss, jowling, neck laxity, and other issues.  I always taylor what I do with the SMAS to what I am trying to achieve.  I have even aplied different approaches to different sides of the same patient.

Find a surgeon who does not do cookie cutter facelifts.  Ask what the options are to correcting your concerns. Ask what types of SMAS procedures he/she has performed. Also ask if they perform any other augmentation procedures with facelift such as fat injections since this may..and I stress MAY, be appropriate I correcting your midface lift concerns.Good luck.

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

SMAS face lift - can it reverse a bad mid-face lift?

Thank you for asking about your midface lift and a SMAS lift.

• I am so sorry you had a mid-face lift that wasn't pleasing.
  • To improve the result, you need a careful examination to determine exactly what is wrong.
  • Then the correction needs to address those specific problems.
  • Sometimes, after a mid-face lift, things can't be improved, sometimes a 'designer' approach is needed, individualized to what didn't work out for you and yes, sometimes a high SMAS lift will improve the result
  • However, lifting the corners of the upper lip is much more safely done with Botox than with surgery.
  • If this is the result you want to improve, please try Botox first.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Can a high SMAS facelift lift the corners of the mouth?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination it is possible to subtly lift the corners of the mouth with a high SMAS lift. I would see a series of ASPS board certified plastic surgeons in consultation to have an assessment of your tissues made to obtain the best information.

High SMAS

A high SMAS facelift can lift the corner of the mouth a little bit.  You would have to be seen in person to determine if it would help the midface problem.

Midface lift

An experienced plastic surgeon can help you see photos and review options to correct mid facial issues. Whether a high SMAS or traditional lift can make a difference, it really depends on a thorough exam and discussion.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon