What pain medications will I be given after my breast augmentation and lift?

Hi ;) one of my friends just had her BA done and she said the dr did not give her any pain meds just told her to take over the counter pain meds. I'm now freakin out there is no way I will be ok with just that. I have no tolerance for pain :( what kind of meds to doctors give for a BA AND LIFT? Please help now I'm scared.

Postop pain medication

Thanks for your question. Most of my patients don't require a narcotic (like Vicodin) after surgery. They usually take ibuprofen and get relief with that. We do however send patients home with a pain medication just in case they need it. You should call your surgeon's office and discuss this with them. Best of Luck!

Pain medication after surgery

This question is one you should really direct towards your surgeon's office.  They should be able to answer this question for you.  Every doctor is different in their postoperative plan based on his/her experience.  I will typically give my patients an oral narcotic to take for a couple of days after surgery as needed.

Naveen Setty, MD

Post-Operative Pain Management

Pain tolerance varies from patient to patient following the combination of breast lift and breast augmentation surgery and for this reason, pain management needs to be individualized. It's not unusual for patients to have pain following this type of procedure. Some patients describe this pain as minimal while others describe it as severe. In many cases, the quality of the patient's experience is related to post-operative pain management.

In the immediate post-operative period, patients are given narcotic pain relievers. They are switched to non-narcotic pain relievers as soon as possible. This usually takes about 7 to 10 days following surgery.

If you're concerned about pain management, you should discuss the issue with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon can make adjustments that will, hopefully, make your experience a comfortable one.

Pain management following breast Augmentation and Lift

This is a very good and common question! While for a breast augmentation a prescribed pain reliever may be beneficial for the first few days, my patients smoothly transition into over the counter pain relief medication by the end of the first week. This is typically the same when a breast lift is performed as well. It is important to remember that pain is subjective and varies for each patient. One patient may require prescribed pain medication for 7-10 days post-operative while the next patient, who has had the exact same procedure may have transitioned to an over the counter pain relief option within 24  hours following their procedure. The most important aspect of pain control is communication with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. With any type of procedure there is a degree of discomfort that will be present; through communication and adherence to post-operative care, pain is easily well controlled. I hope that you have found this information helpful and wish you luck! 

Patrick Viscardi, MD
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Pain Medications

For pain medications here at plasticsurgeryoahu we usually give our patients Vicodin or Tylenol #3 and in additional to the pain medications we also write a prescription for Celebrex to help take the edge off after surgery. 

Kevin Dieffenbach, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Each surgeon will have their own preferences for pain medication following surgery.  At my clinic, I prescribe Percocet for my patients post-operatively.  Each patient’s pain tolerance is different but most patients no longer feel the need to continue taking them a few days following surgery. Please visit or contact your surgeon’s office for clarification as to your post-operative care.

Pain meds

We routinely give prescription pain meds for our breast surgeries - like Vicodin or Nucynta.  Most patients only use them for a few days afterwards.  If delicate surgical technique is used together with good nerve block anesthesia, this keeps the pain and inflammation to a minimum.

Pain medication following breast lift

I do not recommend taking ibuprofen following breast lift or augmentation surgery due to the increased risk of bleeding following surgery.  In my Raleigh, NC practice, patients having breast augmentation and breast lift procedures are given either Percocet or Vicodin for post operative pain.  Typically patients use the pain medications, for two -three days then they can switch to Tylenol.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to advise you on the pain protocol prior to your procedure.

Pain medications after breast augmentation and breast lift

Thank you for your question.  I have been practicing plastic surgery for 32 years and always prescribe narcotic pain medications for patients who are undergoing breast augmentation alone, breast lift alone, and when the 2 procedures are combined.

Typically we prescribed Percocet, Percodan or Vicodin.   It is true that by 3-4 days most patients no longer required narcotic medications.

Pain medication for breast augmentation and wristlet

No need to be scared. Call your doctor and express your concerns. I routinely prescribe pain medication along with a muscle relaxer for under the muscle placement.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dr H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon