What pain medications will I be given after my breast augmentation and lift?

Hi ;) one of my friends just had her BA done and she said the dr did not give her any pain meds just told her to take over the counter pain meds. I'm now freakin out there is no way I will be ok with just that. I have no tolerance for pain :( what kind of meds to doctors give for a BA AND LIFT? Please help now I'm scared.

Postop pain medication

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for your question. Most of my patients don't require a narcotic (like Vicodin) after surgery. They usually take ibuprofen and get relief with that. We do however send patients home with a pain medication just in case they need it. You should call your surgeon's office and discuss this with them. Best of Luck!

Pain medication after surgery

This question is one you should really direct towards your surgeon's office.  They should be able to answer this question for you.  Every doctor is different in their postoperative plan based on his/her experience.  I will typically give my patients an oral narcotic to take for a couple of days after surgery as needed.

Naveen Setty, MD

Typically, for a breast augmentation we prescribe several different pain medications to balance the pain management without staying on narcotics for more than 24 hours. We also always like to provide an anti-nausea medication in the event you may have a post-operative reaction to the anesthesia. Every surgeon has a different protocol and will adjust based on the needs of their patients. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Every doctor has a different post-op plan.

As you've seen, not all doctors prescribe narcotics for breast augmentations. This is how I handle pain after a breast lift and augmentation procedure in my practice:

(Keep in mind that these are the guidelines I give my patients, but you should consult with and follow your own physician's instructions.)

You will be sore the first couple of days. The primary reason for the pain is the muscle being elevated from the procedure.

It is very likely that you will be taking narcotic medication for the pain in the first two days.

Typically, by days 3-5, patients wean themselves off of narcotics and feel much better. There is a lot of variation from patient to patient. Some may be done with narcotics by day 3, others continue on. Do not drive while you are taking narcotics. Once you have completely weaned yourself off of pain medication, you can resume driving. Also, be careful not to submerge yourself in water (pool, bath, ocean) for 3 weeks following surgery.

After a week, there should be no major pain. If you experience any discomfort after one week, Tylenol should be sufficient to manage it. I also prescribe my patients 3 days’ worth of antibiotics for the first few days following surgery.

(Note, this is for breast implants placed under the muscle. The only difference is that the duration of healing and pain lasts slightly longer since muscle is being elevated. Along with many other doctors, I believe that implants should always be placed under the muscle because it minimizes the risk of certain complications and improves the results.)

I hope that answers your question on pain management. It's great that you're doing this research. I always say the best patients are informed patients.

Thank you for reading and good luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Pain meds after breast augmentation

While there are some patients of mine that choose to avoid narcotics and only use Tylenol or ibuprofen after augmentations, we usually prescribe a narcotic/Tylenol combination pain pill, such as Vicodin.  Each surgeon has their own routine, so I would encourage you to discuss this with your surgeon before surgery.  Good luck!

Samuel Maurice, MD
Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Pain management following breast Augmentation and Lift

This is a very good and common question! While for a breast augmentation a prescribed pain reliever may be beneficial for the first few days, my patients smoothly transition into over the counter pain relief medication by the end of the first week. This is typically the same when a breast lift is performed as well. It is important to remember that pain is subjective and varies for each patient. One patient may require prescribed pain medication for 7-10 days post-operative while the next patient, who has had the exact same procedure may have transitioned to an over the counter pain relief option within 24  hours following their procedure. The most important aspect of pain control is communication with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. With any type of procedure there is a degree of discomfort that will be present; through communication and adherence to post-operative care, pain is easily well controlled. I hope that you have found this information helpful and wish you luck! 

Patrick Viscardi, MD
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Pain Medications

For pain medications here at plasticsurgeryoahu we usually give our patients Vicodin or Tylenol #3 and in additional to the pain medications we also write a prescription for Celebrex to help take the edge off after surgery. 

Kevin Dieffenbach, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Each surgeon will have their own preferences for pain medication following surgery.  At my clinic, I prescribe Percocet for my patients post-operatively.  Each patient’s pain tolerance is different but most patients no longer feel the need to continue taking them a few days following surgery. Please visit or contact your surgeon’s office for clarification as to your post-operative care.

Pain meds

We routinely give prescription pain meds for our breast surgeries - like Vicodin or Nucynta.  Most patients only use them for a few days afterwards.  If delicate surgical technique is used together with good nerve block anesthesia, this keeps the pain and inflammation to a minimum.

Pain medication following breast lift

I do not recommend taking ibuprofen following breast lift or augmentation surgery due to the increased risk of bleeding following surgery.  In my Raleigh, NC practice, patients having breast augmentation and breast lift procedures are given either Percocet or Vicodin for post operative pain.  Typically patients use the pain medications, for two -three days then they can switch to Tylenol.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to advise you on the pain protocol prior to your procedure.