Massaging After Liposuction?

How long after Liposuction do you have to start massaging? Does this hurt? What about areas on your back where you cant reach to massage?

Massage anyone?

Massage after liposuction is a good idea.  Most people are pretty sore that first week.  Best to hold off till the major swelling is down by about 2 weeks.  Expect lumpiness and unevenness for at least the first 3-4 weeks.  Your surgeon should see you at one week to be sure there are no fluid accumulations (seroma) that can go on to become scar tissue and lumps that are difficult to fix. A rolling pin is better than a  Swedish massage.

Gentle Massage & Stretching Exercises Following Liposuction

There are no scientific studies that conclusively demonstrate that massage is helpful following liposuction. Despite this, many plastic surgeons utilize massage as a routine component of postoperative care following this procedure. They believe that massage minimizes internal scarring, decreases edema, and helps remodel soft tissue.

It’s not unusual for patients to complain of swelling, tightness, and stiffness following this procedure. Massage and an early return to physical activity seems to help with these issues. For these reasons, plastic surgeons often recommend gentle massage and stretching exercises after liposuction. These are usually started 7 to 10 days following the procedure. Initially these maneuvers cause mild discomfort which quickly resolves with time.

If you’re planning liposuction, it’s important to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. In many cases, massage will be an important part of your postoperative care.

Massage after liposuction

Massage can start at a week or ten days after surgery. You can use your hands or a soft paint roller for about 20 minutes once or twice a day.

However, please ask your surgeon first for their advice. They may have different guidelines.

You should not be massaging yourself.

Hi!

There is no need for massage after liposuction, except in the abdomen, which is more prone to irregularities.

In New York, we send liposuction of the stomach patients for professional lymphatic drainage massage, as soon as they are not too sore (a few days). But I don't recommend that you massage yourself.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Don't massage after Liposuction

There is no evidence that massage has any positive benefits for the liposuction patient. As a matter of fact, it might even do harm if too agressive. The area that has been treated by liposuction is a surgical wound. A repairative process must ensue that takes many months. The healing mechanisms in the body (that have evolved over thousands of years) are very efficient at repairing what the procedure has created. Let your body do the job it knows how to do.

Massage

This will vary somewhat from patient to patient and surgeon to surgeon. Good science does not exist to answer this question.   I tell patients there will be bruising and swelling. The bruising is usually gone in 2 or 3 weeks but swelling takes longer. I advise patients that about 80% of edema will resolve in 6-8 weeks but it may take 6-8 months for the remainder of the edema to resolve completely and see the final result. Compression garments are recommended to the treated areas for the first 4-6 weeks, after which I tell patients to wear them as needed for obvious swelling or comfort. I allow activity as tolerated after the first postoperative visit.  I encourage gentle massage to the treated areas after the first postoperative visit if the patient can tolerate it to promote lymphatic drainage and remodel the tissue.  Whether or not it actually accomplished these goals is uncertain, but at the least patients seem to resolve their subjective discomfort sooner.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Massage and Lipo

I do not specifically recommend massaging the treated areas afterwards. It can be helpful to have a lymphatic drainage massage after surgery to reduce inflammation. Your plastic surgeon may or may not recommend this as part of your post care.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Massaging after Liposuction may be helpful but not a must

Although Therapeutic or "lymphatic massage" may be helpful it is NOT mandatory. Endermologie is also very helpful after liposculpture/liposuction but again, not critical.  Although deep tissue massage following liposuction can aid in smoothing out  contour irregularities that invariably accompany this procedure it has limited effect on the final outcome and  is not mandatory. Some plastic surgeons recommend it to all  patients as they feel the edema resolves faster.  Ask your surgeon to show you or a significant other how to do this if cost is an issue.That "significant other" will be able to get to the hard to reach places like your back.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Massage After Liposuction

Massaging should only be performed if it is part of your doctor's instructions. There is no evidence that massaging the area will have any benefits.

Message for specific problem areas

It may not be necessary for you to perform message after liposuction.  It is fairly painful, and should only be performed if there are areas of lumpiness which you can improve by messaging.  Otherwise, you are just pushing on areas which are trying to heal!