How much will my nose change from 3 months post op Rhinoplasty to final result?

I'm 3 months post op rhinoplasty. My nose looks different from the day if cast removal. My nose tip was shorter. My nose tip now seems longer at 3/4 view and smiling. Could this be swelling? How much will my nose change from 3 months post op to final result?

How close is my nose to its final result at 3 months postop?

It is difficult to answer your question without photographs. 

To generalize, by 3 months, 90% of your swelling should have improved and you are very close to your final result...

So the next question is when will you see the final result...  Swelling after Rhinoplasty may persist up to 9 months or to even a year post-operatively.  Most of the swelling will improve significantly in the first few weeks, so it is normal to start seeing subtle differences in contour and definition 3 months out compared to the day of cast removal.  Examples of these differences include tip definition and residual deformities in a dorsal hump, for example.

Things to worry about would be signs of infection such as focused swelling on a specific area of your nose, redness, increased, tenderness or drainage.  Sometimes, your Rhinoplasty surgeon may use cartilage grafts to add definition or improve definition -- these can get infected, so you should definitely follow up closely with your surgeon if you see any signs of infection or have further questions about your outcome.

Good luck.

Dr Markarian 

Rhinoplasty - Postop

While it is agreed upon that nose shape may evolve over several months post op, even up to a year, residual deformities i.e.. dorsal hump may not improve with time. Corrective features become more prominent as swelling goes down and tip definition and projection becomes more apparent with time.

Zakir Sabry MD

3 Months Post Rhinoplasty

The nose often continues to settle over the next few months as the edema finally escapes and the soft tissues adapt to their new underlying framework. It will take 6 months to a year to see a final result. Close follow-up with the surgeon is essential. Assuming there is no infection, patients should allow at least 6 months for the swelling to resolve and the tissues to soften before contemplating any changes. At that point, a detailed exam and discussion will help delineate the best treatment option.

It is very hard to answer this question without photos. You will find that as time goes on, 6-9 plus months, the swelling will improve the tissues will relax and the final result will start to show.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis,MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Photos please

If you could provide photos to better understand what you are referring to.  Typically, longterm, a rhinoplasty can result in less tip prominence due to dissection around the tip weaking tip support structures.  Thus it seems unusual for you to notice more tip projection as opposed to less with time.  

Swelling

At 3 months after rhinoplasty, your nose is probably still swollen and you will see gradual changes over a years time.  Good luck.

Assessing your nose

It is very important to have a photograph of your nose from before surgery and look at it periodically during the healing process in the first year after a rhinoplasty. It will keep changing. It is better not to focus on the weekly changes but o always compare with the nose before surgery. The only way to do this is to look at the photograph of the nose. Having said that, one year is typical for the healing to complete. Unless something is drastically wrong, all revisions should be delayed for one year. 
Regards
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

don't pass judgment on the results of a rhinoplasty for at least six months.

Without photographs it's impossible to give specific opinions but there is swelling at three months and you can expect to see at least minor changes over the ensuing months.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Throughout the healing process after rhinoplasty, which can last up to one year, you will see swelling fluctuate in certain regions of the nose.  As healing progresses, this becomes less frequent. Make sure that you are following up with you rhinoplasty surgeon throughout the healing process so they can monitor you for any changes and address your concerns along the way. Best of luck. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect during healing after rhinoplasty surgery

As swelling resolves, the tip of the nose will typically deproject (get closer to the face) and counter-rotate slightly.  In general at 3-6 months 60-80% of the swelling will have resolved and the remainder will resolve over the course of 1 year.  Bring up your concerns with your surgeon and follow up closely with him/her to ensure the best results.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD