Can I wash my face after microneedling?

I just had microneedling and my face is very very red now. There were traces of dried blood too and i really want to wash it with Cetaphil. But if i wash, wouldnt i wash away the serum too? It's been 8 hours. Thank you

Washing Your Face After Microneedling

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You most certainly can wash your face 8 hours after a microneedling procedure.  I would recommend a gentle cleanser post-procedure.  This will help to remove those traces of dried blood too!  Be sure to use products and serums containing peptides and growth factors.  Best of luck!

Washing Your Face Post-Microneedling

We advise our clients to wait at least 6 hours post-microneedling to wash their face. We recommend using a gentle face wash (we like Elta MD Gentle Cleanser) and washing with COOL water, do not recommend using hot water. During the 6 hour waiting period, it is extremely important to stay indoors to avoid any sun exposure because you will not have any sunscreen on to protect your skin (bring a hat and scarf to your appointment to drive home!) You should also reapply the serum given to you at your appointment (we send our clients home with Eclipse MicroGlide (hyaluronic acid) to use every hour while waiting to wash their face). After you wash your face, we suggest using HA5 or HA Intensifier as much as possible! If you must leave the house, use a post-procedure sunscreen and a hat, but we recommend staying indoors for the first 24 hours at least. For best results, please avoid make-up for at least 48 hours, or use mineral make up like Jane Iredale. Enjoy your new skin!

Lawrence Broder, MD
Cedar Park Family Physician

Is it safe to wash the face post microneedling?

Yes, it is definitely safe to wash your face after 8 hours after your microneedling session. It is actually advised that you do so a few hours after your sessions. I usually suggest washing the face using gentle products like cleansers or facial wash since your skin has many tiny injuries. Using gentle products is the way to go.

It is suggested that you use lukewarm water with the gentle facial wash or cleanser. You should use this combo for the next 72 hours after your needling session. Dry your skin very gently as you do not want to aggravate the tiny punctures in your skin. Be sure that your hands are also washed clean when you are touching your face. After cleansing, do not forget to use serums with growth factors, usually the ones suggested by your doctor as post-care maintenance products. This will help in healing the skin faster while also soothing it and reducing irritation in the process. Hope this helps!

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Hydrase Soy Facial Cleanser

I would recommend a gentle facial wash. After skin treatments, I would recommend the Hydrase Soy Facial Cleanser to help cleanse the skin. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Micro-Needling

A gentle cleanser can be used after a micro-needling treatment. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS