Can a fibromyalgia sufferer have a Mommy Makeover?
United Kingdom, GB
7 months ago
I live in the UK and I have fibromyalgia. I take tramadol, gabapentin and co-codamol daily. I would very much like a breast augmentation and moderator tummy tuck but have been told that it's unlikely that a surgeon would perform these surgeries. I have been taking these for years so there is no way I can stop just to have surgery and feel that it would actually help with the pain of recovery. Is the general consensus that no surgeon would perform surgery on a fibromyalgia sufferer on medication?
Doctor Answers 2
Mommy make-over with fibromyalgia
Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
- People with fibromyalgia can definitely have surgery.
- One issue is what triggered the fibromyalgia - was it injury? in the area of surgery?
- A second issue is whether surgery will lead to chronic pain in the area of surgery.
- So you need an experienced and empathetic plastic surgeon, willing to discuss your problem with your neurologist or whoever is prescribing your medications - to plan your surgery.
- Strange things happen and I have seen people with fibromyalgia improve unexpectedly after surgery.
- But the goal is to carefully minimize the likelihood of exacerbating it - and this can be done.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
Fibromyalgia and surgery
There is no reason why you should not contemplate surgery.Make sure you consult an experienced surgeon who can counsel you fully about the procedures.The BAAPS website should be able to help you find a fully qualified surgeon locally.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as
a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you
have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute
or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.