Can a fibromyalgia sufferer have a Mommy Makeover?
Doctor Answers 2
Mommy make-over with fibromyalgia
- People with fibromyalgia can definitely have surgery.
- One issue is what triggered the fibromyalgia - was it injury? in the area of surgery?
- A second issue is whether surgery will lead to chronic pain in the area of surgery.
- So you need an experienced and empathetic plastic surgeon, willing to discuss your problem with your neurologist or whoever is prescribing your medications - to plan your surgery.
- Strange things happen and I have seen people with fibromyalgia improve unexpectedly after surgery.
- But the goal is to carefully minimize the likelihood of exacerbating it - and this can be done.
Fibromyalgia and surgery
There is no reason why you should not contemplate surgery.Make sure you consult an experienced surgeon who can counsel you fully about the procedures.The BAAPS website should be able to help you find a fully qualified surgeon locally.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.