At-home IPL on Indian skin? (Photo)

Hi, I would like to buy an IPL hair removal device due to the constrictive price of professional treatments. I have done some research into devices and plan on buying a high-end on such as the Phillips Lumea or Braun SilkEffect. I am aware that these devices work well on light skin and dark hair. Although I have dark hair, my skin is not light, although it is not dark either. Please advise whether IPL machines will be effective on my skin tone.

At home IPL

In my experience that at home IPL and laser hair removal treatments do not work. Having a darker skin tone you are at greater risk for hyperpigmentation as well as hypopigmentation. It's best to find a trained professional and not risk permanent damage to your skin. Look for the Venus Versa. It's a great new laser hair reduction system that is safe for most skin tones.

At home IPL

Thank you for your question my30. IPL is a light-based treatment to address various concerns for rejuvenation of the face and other areas. It can be used for hair removal. There are now a number of at-home devices. The efficacy of these device is poor in my experience. It is also important to have a treatment that is safe for a person's skin type. With professional devices various settings can be adjusted to make it safe for darker skin. While I understand the investment may be lower, I do not recommend at home devices for hair removal. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

IPL is a photofacial -- get Fraxel with Microneedling or combine with IPL and microneedling/PRP

IPL rarely works with at home devics. I like fraxel for off the face treatment and for all skin types.  Best, Dr. Emer.