Is Scleral show possible after transconjunctival Blepharoplasty? (Photos)

I am 47 and 12 days ago had transconj bleph, with skin pinch and canthopexy (I think as left side undone 7 days later) w/mid face fat transfer. 1My left eye is smaller it was my big one 2Scleral show on right eye and lid not as tight on lateral portion 3hollowing is this due to cheek/lid swelling? My surgeon is on leave - I see the nurse this week. Can these resolve especially my lower right eye and will my left eye get back to its larger size. I chose this method to best avoid eye/eyelid change

Inside and outside lower eyelid surgery

The lower eyelids are very sensitive, and you are still very early in the healing process after lower blepharoplasty. Many issues may resolve with time after plastic surgery. In addition, facial fat injection to the mid face area will prolong healing from lower eyelid surgery. Speak with your plastic surgeon regarding any issues you have.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty should not cause sclera show

Transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty has practically zero chance of causing sclera show when done properly. Skin pinch and canthopexy can increase the chances of that. Good news is it is early in healing process and your eyelids will improve. Give it 3 months. If still a problem at that time, see an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scleral show?

You do not have scleral show in your front posed photos.  A skin pinch can cause a scleral show in some but  you also had a canthopexy which helps minimize the risk.

It is essential to understand that you did not have just a transconjunctival blepharoplasty.

You had an infracillary surgery and a canthopexy.  These are both procedures that can alter the contour of the lower eyelid and cause inferior scleral show.  You are only 12 days out from your surgeon.  Nothing now will alter the arc that the lower eyelids have been set on.  I would discourage you from massaging your lower eyelid on your own.  The answers you are looking for can not be known at this point.  These eyelids really need to heal over the next 6 month to know you outcome.

Transconjunctival blepharoplasty and scleral show

Sceral show is much less likely to occur with a transconjunctival blepharoplasty. I would anticipate 1) improvement in the asymmetry as the edema resolves, 2) no scleral show in primary gaze, 3) improvement in hollowing related to swelling. Your photos show normal recovery from transconjunctival blepharoplasty. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon