Will vertical crease after tummy tuck disappear over time? (photos)

I am 10 days postop and notice that there is a vertical crease above and within my belly button. My abdomen and sides are still numb, therefore I know that I am still swollen. I still have one drain inside of me. Will the vertical crease disappear once swelling subsides? Does my belly button look normal?

Vertical crease after tummy tuck

This is either a tension pull line from the central suture which will improve with time.
Or it is excess central skin, which will not subside.
Nothing should be done now. Wait six months before discussing additonal surgery with your surgeon.
The surgery would most probably be a central exicsion of excess skin which will leave a vertical scar, which of course you may not want.

Tummy tuck healing

This is a unusual look post op. I would guess that you had a significant weight loss and have  excess skin in the horizonal direction. If this does not settle then you may have to consider a vertical excision of tissue. Good luck.

Early post op

10 Days is very early post op followup. This laxity will improve slightly but may require a vertical ellipse excision if you want to see a very tight abdomen.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Vertical crease

This may improve some with time, but will probably not completely resolve. A before set of photos would have been useful here. I can only guess that in addition to the vertical laxity fixed by the standard TT there may also have been a large amount of horizontal laxity that might have benefited from  a "vertical TT" with an added vertical incision to excise that excess skin. 

I cannot see much of the navel, but nothing appears abnormal in what I can see.

Thanks for your question. All the best. 

Vertical crease after TT

It's too early in the healing process but most likely the crease will not disappear.  It's due to skin laxity from your weight loss and it's common to see this on patients who have lost a great deal of weight and have poor upper and lower abdominal skin laxity. 

Midline crease after tummy tuck

It is still really early in your recovery, so things will change and soften over time.   When there is extra skin laxity in the abdomen in both directions (horizonal and vertical), it can be a challenge to tighten up the entire area without adding an extra vertical scar and/or extending the scars out onto the hips and around towards the back.

This crease will likely improve with time, although it may not go away entirely.  Best to talk with your plastic surgeon who did the surgery and he or she can discuss what to expect.

Dr. Michelle Spring

Vertical crease

This crease will soften over time but it's a common phenomenon when trying to avoid a long TT incision The skin tends to bunch up towards the center creating the same result. If there is a residual deformity it could be corrected by revising the flap closure with a slightly longer scar. 

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Crease

You are early in your recovery so it is difficult to say what will happen in the future. Also it would have been helpful if preoperative photos were included so I could better evaluate the changes to your abdomen. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Will vertical crease after tummy tuck disappear over time?

It will now dissapear but it will improve over time.   Wound healing is not complete for 1 year so be patient.   Best to you

Vertical crease

Thanks for your pictures.  This crease will get better in the next couple of months as the swelling subsides. Your belly button looks fine.