Tummy tuck tattoo 4 months.

Apart from 'scar might eventually get so faded and flat that you won't want a tatoo' what are the reasons tattoo is not allowed on tt scar earlier than 1 year post? If things are healing well would it be ok?

Immature scars

may break down from the trauma of a tattoo gun and if you're trying to cover the red, why a tattoo when time alone may help it resolve?  And if you don't like the red and the scar is flat, lasers that target red can help it also resolve sooner.  Tattoos are permanent so if that is what you want, go for it... if you're just tying to camouflage a scar, try to be patient as you may decide you don't want a tattoo.

Tummy Tuck Scars & Tattoo Timing

Because it can take anywhere from 12-18 months for your tummy tuck scars to fade, I always advise my patients to wait at least a year before getting a tattoo that would affect the scar. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck tattoo timing?

Thank you for your question.  Scars mature over time usually 12-18 months.  With time, scars generally become lighter in color and flatter (not as raised), which is why it is recommend that patients wait about a year before tattooing. 

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

When can I get a tattoo on my scar?

Thank you for your question. Scars mature at different rates in people. Generally, once the purple/red color of a scar fades and it appears mostly white, it's considered "mature". But scars are dynamic for the first year or so, and doing anything to manipulate it, like cover it with a tattoo can potentially cause it to widen. A tattoo won't 'hurt' the scar, but your tattoo may not appear the same if the scar is continuing to mature after you get your tattoo. Hope this helps!

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck tattoo 4 months.

Thank you for the question. In general it takes 12-18 months for a scar to mature so I recommend to my patients to perform scar massage until the scar matures and than they can have a tattoo if they desire. It is best to speak to your board certified plastic surgeon to see what their protocol is. Good luck.

Tattoo over scar after a tummy tuck

Hi, 

I know several patients that get tattoos over their scars. However, scars continue to change for about up to 1 year after formation, so your scar could continue to change. If you get a tattoo now, it may change in appearance as the scar changes (widen or the color could fade). So, it isn't medically harmful to get the tattoo earlier than 1 year. Just be aware it may change the design and you may need to get it touched up if the scar changes. 

Best wishes in your recovery, 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Why you shouldnt' tattoo your scar for one year

Scars will mature upto 1 year; this means that they may continue to expand, ie. get wider; there reason why you should not get a tattoo of your incision is because if you get it now, it may distort over one year and get stretched out.

Arian Mowlavi, MD