Is a reverse abdominoplasty right for me? (Photo)

I had a c-sec back in 2013 and a Vbac in May 2016. I can live with the few stretch marks below my belly button but the loose skin above really bothers me. I'm looking to do breast augmentation as well and wondering if these two procedures can be done at the same time and what my recovery might look like. I am 38.

When to consider a reverse tummy tuck

If you already have a C-section scar and the loose skin and stretch marks are in the lower abdomen and above the belly button, a standard tummy tuck will give you the best result. A reverse tummy tuck works best when there is loose skin in the upper abdomen, and you are willing to accept a scar that goes all the way across the midline and under the breasts. The link below describes the variations on tummy tucks including reverse tummy tucks.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for this question, I believe you will benefit from a standard tummy tuck with muscle repair this will give you the best result,consult with a board certified PS, good luck!

Is a reverse abdominoplasty right for me?

No, in my opinion, a reverse tummy tuck operation is not the "right" procedure for you. On the other hand, you will have a very nice improvement of your abdominal wall contour with a "traditional" tummy tuck operation.  Select your plastic surgeon carefully and communicate your goals carefully as well. Best wishes.

Reverse Abdominoplasty

I like the idea of a reverse abdominoplasty, but in my personal experience, I am not impressed with the lift it can achieve. You're really a good candidate for tummy tuck and muscle tightening, as the other doctors have pointed out.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Many reasons to choose a low abdominal incision abdominoplasty

Since you already have a lower abdominal scar from the C-section, a traditional tummy tuck would extend this scar area lengthwise, but would not add another location.  While the breast augmentation can be performed through an inframmammary incision - part of a reverse abdominoplasty scar approach, a long scar connecting the inframammary scars would be noticeably more evident.  Also, consider that gravity is working against a reverse abdominoplasty - you are trying to suspend the tissue of the abdomen, rather than allowing it to fall toward the lower abdomen. You'll want to have the diastasis recti repaired to give you a flat foundation to the abdomen.  You are a great candidate for a beautiful result!

Bradley Remington, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Reverse vs Traditional Tummytuck?

It appears from your photos that traditional Tummytuck is your best option. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Traditional abdominoplasty

Stretch marks above your belly button will be under once the traditional tummy tuck is done. You are a very good candidate and great results are expected. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tread carefully

Good morning!

You are a great candidate for a traditional abdominoplasty- you are thin with minimal visceral body fat- an abdominoplasty performed by an expert will yield fantastic results.

The reverse abdominoplasty has appeal at first glance-a scar under the breasts, can be used to put in breast implants, etc.- but tread carefully.  These procedures yield scars that can be unsightly in the mid line over the sternum limiting your clothing choices.  In addition, the pull vectors are not the same as in a traditional abdominoplasty- that means that is is more difficult to enhance your waist.  In addition, that little excess skin just above your panty line will not be nearly as tight with a reverse abdominoplasty- it is simply too far from the incision line which is the point of maximal tightness.

And yes- a traditional breast augmentation and traditional abdominoplasty can and is regularly performed at the same time.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

Reverse tummy tuck is not the right choice for you.

I think you would be best served with a traditional tummy tuck.  You would be pulling up the bad skin towards your breasts if you did the revere tummy tuck which is the opposite of what you would want.  That's a really bad idea.  Hope this helps.

-JGH

Reverse TT

I don't think a reverse TT would be appropriate in your case. This is a surgery reserved for very unique circumstances and most often requires a scar across the midline in the cleavage area which can be objectionable to most patients.

A full abdominoplasty would be the best choice based on your photos in my opinion.

Good luck!

Sam M. Sukkar, MD