Risks of squeezing out Restylane under eyes? (Pls don't recommend hyaluronidase, I know it's best, see info in details)

My Restylane treatment gave me bigger bags and discolouration (probably injected too superficially). Now my doctor insists on squeezing it out rather than using hyaluronidase. He thinks hyaluronidase is risky. I can't afford going to a 2nd doctor and want this one to correct it.Which means I'll have to go through with the squeeze procedure. What I'm asking is,are there any risks involved with this? Or is the worst case scenario only that it will be ineffective? Can it cause permanent damage?

Under Eye Fullness

I think that squeezing out the product under the eye is a bad idea and likely to result in trauma to the area but not much improvement in the overfill.  The best approach would be to dissolve the filler with hyaluronidase and then have the procedure repeated, perhaps by a different physician.  Hope this helps.

Newport Beach Dermatologist

Tear Trough Fillers -- Try Cannulas; hylauronidase if unhappy

Restylane cannot be "squeezed" from the under eye area unless it was injected in large clumps or if it formed large nodules and it has been within a few days to a week after injection.  I suggest you see an expert and do not compromise your care for cost or distance.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Squeezing out restylane

I'm sorry you are in this tough situation. In my experience restylane can often be massaged to even it out but this only works when the filler is placed at a deeper level.  You yourself believe it is too superficial so massage will not be helpful. If your doctor is suggesting making an incision and squeezing the product out I would be very careful as this may lead to worse problems. I hope you can find a solution that makes you feel better.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Removing Restylane from Under the Eyes

The best way to reduce the Restylane is to have Hyaluronidase injected into this area under the eyes.  I have never heard nor is it possible to squeeze it out.  Please consult an experienced board certified dermatologist with experience with cosmetic injections.  Best, Dr. Geen

Squeezing out Restylane under the eyes

This is terrible idea. Please don't do it. If you can't afford to see another doctor, you should wait for the filler to go away on its own. I would NOT recommend you undergo this "squeezing" procedure under any circumstances. Remember that getting filler out is just as much an art as putting it in to begin with. So if you weren't a huge fan of the first "painting" then perhaps another one may not be such a good idea either....

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Squeezing out Restylane

This is something that should not be done. it may bruise your eye area, make the bags worse or even have more side effects. if you cannot afford another doctor, just wait until this goes away and then see another doctor and be sure it is a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Squeezing out Restylane

Hi URL.  If you can't afford to go to another doctor you should wait until the product is metabolized by the body.  Squeezing it out at this point is  a terrible idea.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Risks of squeezing out Restylane under eyes? (Pls don't recommend hyaluronidase, I know it's best, see info in detail

If the restylane is too superficial then I also would not recommend H'ase.  H'ase can possibly adversely effect the skin and dermis in that region.  The problem with squeezing the restylane is that it should not wait too long after the procedure.  Once it settles in the region it becomes harder to squeeze it out completely.  So you are right the worse case scenario is that it might be an incomplete removal of the product.  You are better off letting the product stay and be broken down on its own rather than using H'ase so superficially under the skin.  
Stay in touch with the doctor and have him or her help you through this process.  Hopefully you chose a board certified plastic surgeon for this.  I hope this helps. Good luck.
Dr Vasisht
South Shore Plastic Surgery  

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Manual extraction of filler

I would be very wary of a physician who thinks hyaluronidase is too risky without any other explanation.  Manual extraction of filler can be performed in some cases where potential allergy exists; however, it is usually more effective at the time of treatment.  The risk is significant bruising of the lower lids and potential for scarring depending on how it is performed.   Most likely, it will result in incomplete removal if the filler is not localized.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon