Is it ok to take reference pictures to a first consultation?

I'm 21, I plan on having my first consultations (breast implants and rhinoplasty), I know that some people might take celebrity photos and have unrealistic expectations, I know that doctors will have a lot of references to show but would it help if I take something too? I also would like to know if I could bring a picture of my nose bridge of when I was a bit younger, is it uncommon or unhelpful to show photo references of yourself? Thank you.

Absolutely!

This can be SO helpful to make sure you and your potential are on the same page as far as end result expectations! Be sure to visit experienced board certified surgeons, most will really appreciate you bringing in "goal photos". Best of luck! Dr. Kim

Absolutely!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Reference pictures for a rhinoplasty

Yes it is acceptable to bring pictures in to your surgeon, just make sure they are not over- exposed and washed out and not photo-shopped.  Computer imaging of your nose on your face is also beneficial to understand what can be accomplished with a rhinoplasty

Reference pictures for a rhinoplasty

Reference pictures for first consultation

Dear Ffy0,

I think it is a great idea to bring reference photos to your first visit so that the surgeon is aware of your goals and what particular traits you are looking for. This opens up communication between the patient and the surgeon and gives the surgeon a chance to tell you what is realistic and what is not. 

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Dear Ffy0,

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Reference photos for Consultation

Dear ffy0, Patients bring in reference photos often and it is very helpful for the surgeon to understand the patients aesthetic preferences. Often times patients will bring in poster boards they have worked on for some time. At consultation I also use imaging to show the patient the proposed results to make sure we are on the same page. Once the desired nose is determined then I will discuss in length the techniques which will be used. Breast implant sizers and "try on" bras are also available to help with the sizing concerns. See examples of the imaging process and how close in proximity the actual results are to the proposed results in the video above and examples of rhinoplasty before and afters in the link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Reference photos for Consultation

Michael Elam, MD

Bring Photos

Thanks for your question. It's a good idea to take photos to your initial consultation. It gives your surgeon a better idea of your expectations and whether or not those expectations are realistic.  It's always good to establish a clear line of communication with your surgeon before your procedure to make sure you are both on the same page.

Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Bring Photos

Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Bringing photos

I always encourage patients to bring photos of their goals as well as younger photos of themselves depending on what type of surgery they are interested in. If it seems unrealistic, your surgeon should be able to give you his or her honest opinion before you commit to a procedure. Even if your "ideal" reference photo is unrealistic, it will give the surgeon a better idea of what you are looking for and they can better explain to you what a realistic result will be for you. A picture is worth a thousand words so don't be afraid to bring some with you. Hope this helps!!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Bringing photos

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Bringing Reference Pictures to Initial Consultation for Cosmetic Surgery

I find it is helpful when patients bring reference pictures to their consultation, especially for rhinoplasty surgery. We cannot duplicate a particular nose but the images do demonstrate characteristics that a patient likes and provide a starting point as we discuss their options and expectations. We do believe in specialization; in our clinic I would see the patient re their nose and another surgeon who does the body surgery would discuss the breast work.

Open rhinoplasty and breast augmentation desired photos

It is critical for you to take photos of your desired outcome as one of the most important factors in a successful surgery is to meet your expectations. Photos of your expectations are critical for a surgeon who needs to design your surgery.

Own reference photos

Dear ffy0,

I encourage my patients to bring their own reference photos just to see their expectation from the surgery. After that we can discuss if that can be accomplished using surgery and if it is the best choice for them. 

Daniel Barrett, MD, MHA, MS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Member, Am. Society of Plastic Surgery

Own reference photos

Dear ffy0,

Daniel Barrett, MD, MHA, MS 

Member, Am. Society of Plastic Surgery

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. It is helpful to bring reference pictures to your first consultation. Keep in mind that the photos you might find in a magazine may not be the right nose for you. It is important that your nose is both proportional and symmetrical to your face because the nose is an individual characteristic. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon