Is it possible to lower the hairline by half an inch?

I know there is a forehead reduction technique but I was considering hair transplantation because I don't want to have the huge scar. Is forehead reduction better if it is just half an inch of advancement ?

Hairline lowering 1/2 inch

If you are just looking to lower your hairline 1/2 inch I would most likely recommend a hair transplant vs a hairline reduction as the scarring and invasiveness is generally less. Its best to meet with a hair restoration surgeon that can evaluate your condition and give you recommendations based on their examination and your concerns.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Yes

Hair transplant surgery can certainly lower the hair line by 1/2 inch.  The first step is consulting with a doctor. 

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Yes

Hairlines in both men and women can be lowered 1/2 inch.  Lowering a hairline will take a lot of grafts since you are building on zero density.  Your best move is to consult with a doctor.

Tim Neavin, MD

Hairline Reduction vs. Hair Transplant

Hairline reduction and hair transplant can both lower the hairline.  It really has to do with the individual patients and what expectations they have to choose from one of the two.

Here are advantages of hairline reduction:
  1. Quick procedure
  2. It can create high density hairline
And these are the advantages of a hair transplant to lower hairline:
  1. Natural looking
  2. No line of scar in front of hairline
  3. More flexible with hair direction and curvature design
I think you have to be evaluated by a hair transplant surgeon to see which option is for you.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline lowering

There are two choices for hairline lowering;

For a female, hairline lowering is a great procedure because females do not have to worry about genetic frontal hairloss.

For men who can continue to bald as they age, hair transplantation is a better solution than a hairline lowering procedure to reduce the forehead size (its like a reverse brow lift). If the balding continues after a hairline lowering procedure, the scar will become evident and a transplant sooner or later will be needed. For women, however, the choice to do a full surgical hairline lowering procedure is a reasonable option as their is rarely frontal balding as in men.

If you have a hairline lowering procedure you may need a small hair transplant procedure to hide the inevitable scar at the frontal edge, but the procedure is literally instantaneous while you must wait for 6+ months for the hair transplants to grow out. If you have a hair transplant procedure you many need a second hair transplant procedure to meet the density goal that you desire no matter what anyone tells you. Just remember that if it sounds too good to be true… well, you know the rest.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline lowering with the Irrregular Trichphytic incision.

Hairline lowering with the Irrregular Trichphytic incision gives a better and more natural result. It is also much cheaper. I do both procedures and patients prefer the ITHL over grafting. Also 

Lowering Hairline

Hair transplants have never been my first choice to lower the hairline because it is impossible to achieve normal uniform density of hair with this approach. I described the Irregular Trichophytic Incision technique many years ago and have never had the complication of a "huge" scar.

Hairline

First of all, the hairline lowering / forehead reduction operation done on a properly selected patient (anterior hair growth direction, good scalp laxity) can give an undetectable scar comparable to the effect of a hair transplant with an almost immediate result. Second, a half inch of forehead reduction  is not a great amount and should be easy to achieve by grafts or surgical lowering. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon