Does hairline lowering surgery cause hair loss? (Photo)

I am interested in the hairline lowering surgery, but I read about some cases of hair loss after the procedure, is this something to be concerned about? How common is it? Why could this happen? Thank you.

Forehead reduction surgery and hair loss

Thank you for your question. Any surgery on the scalp can cause shock hair loss. It is not common but the incidence is not zero. The risk is small enough that the benefits outweigh the risks. Good luck

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hairline Lowering and Shock Hair Loss

Hairline Lowering or any surgery of the scalp can cause shock hair loss, but it is less likely to occur with injection of Kenelog during the procedure.  If the procedure is not performed in the subgaleal plane or if cautery is abused, hair loss can also occur.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Loss Secondary to Hairline Lowering Surgery

Temporary hair loss is possible but I've never seen permanent loss since I described the Irregular Trichophytic Incision technique many years ago.

Hair loss after hairline lowering surgery

Temporary hair loss (shock loss) can occur with any surgey that invovlves the scalp. Facelifts, forehead lifts, hair transplants and scalp lacerations can havve this complication. It resolves itself starting after 4 months

Microscpiic thinning of the hair has to occur with the hairline lowering operqtion  as the scalp is being stretched. This, however, is not hair loss.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is a risk

Hair line lowering surgery has risks associated (like any surgery).  One of the risk is hair loss around the area.  It can be devastating to patients.  This is why it is important to see a doctor in person so he/she can explain all the risks and benefits.  It is impossible to say if it will happen to you.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline lowering does not cause hair loss in my 35 year experience.

Hairline lowering does not cause hair loss in my 35 year experience if properly done. I have done more than a thousand of these and have not had hair loss.