I'm not a fan of my lips. When I smile the top lip curls in and it's super awkward. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am overweight (235 lbs) this time last year j was 290, 5'9. Is it better to wait to get lip injections until I reach my goal or can I get them now? How does weight change effect lips? Also what type of injection do I need? How much and who do you recommend in the LA area?

Lip Augmentation and weight loss

Congratulations on your 55 pound weight loss! On behalf of the entire medical community, I am cheering you on to continue with your life style change until you reach your goal. Acknowledging that you are not done yet, I can tell you that you are an excellent candidate currently to proceed with your lip augmentation instead of waiting toreach your goal. Your lips will not be effected with the weight loss. However, your self confidence and looks will undoubtedly soar with this treat for yourself. Enjoy watching the following video on lip augmentation I did.

Corona Del Mar Physician

Lip Augmentation And Weight Loss

Thank you for your excellent question and for sharing your photographs.  Congratulations on your weight loss so far!  Based on your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a conservative lip augmentation with a filler such as Juvederm.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved with Juvederm.  Weight change will not affect the size of your lips as compared to other areas of the body.  I would encourage you to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

I'm not a fan of my lips. When I smile the top lip curls in and it's super awkward. Any suggestions?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I think you are an excellent dermal filler candidate to increase the overall volume of your lips so that you have greater red lip show when smiling.  Because lips do not lose significant size with weight loss, I would add volume now and have a touch up performed in the future if needed.  I recommend using Juvederm Ultra Plus for volume enhancement.  Hope this helps.

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I prefer our patients to reach a stabilized weight before performing surgery. Congratulations on your weight loss, and I hope you continue to find a healthy lifestyle. There are injectables that need to be repeated every year or more often and then there are injectables that are a more permanent solution to your lips that may require two to three treatments at most. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to determine the timing of your lip augmentation and which type of injectable is right for you.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your photos. Weight loss will not affect your lip injections and you should be proud of what you've accomplished. Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm Ultra or Restylane Silk are best for the lips since they provide soft volume which gives you an enhanced natural look. If this is your first time, you should plan on one syringe. You may not need an entire syringe, but you can evaluate how you look as the injection proceeds and decide if you need more. Hope this helps and congratulations!
Johnson C. Lee, MDPlastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Lip enhancement

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. Congratulations on losing weight. You have nice full lips, so I would focus on improving shape and definition more than adding volume. In particular, I would focus on your lateral upper lip and trip to evert it (i.e., turn it out) with some carefully placed product. This would have the effect of giving you more lateral show. I would use only a small amount in your lower lip, with the goal being to reduce your subtle asymmetry, though everyone is asymmetric! You might also benefit from a small amount of Botox near the corners of the mouth (DAO muscle) so as to have a lifting effect. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.    

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

If you are unhappy please reverse the fillers and find another injector or try another product or technique.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip Augmentation

The best injections for you would be a combination of Restylane Silk and Volbella.  Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green