How deep does the Sculpsure laser go?

Hi I had Sculpsure done 4 weeks ago and anxiously awaiting my results. Does the expected 24% reduction of fat vary from person to person based on their own mass or does the laser have a maximum amount it can penetrate and destroy? Thanks!

SculpSure Technology

SculpSure works by engaging a controlled hypothermic 1060 nm wavelength to the body, targeting the fatty tissue. This wavelength is penetrated deep into the subcutaneous fat cells causing your body to eliminate the fat cells with minimal absorption in the dermis allowing for a safe and effective treatments for all skin types. The heated wavelength establishes a controlled hyperthermic temperature of 42°C and 47°C causing an injury to the adipose, without any damage to the dermal tissue. The damaged adipocytes will be absorbed and removed gradually by the body’s inflammatory process and the volume of fat in the treatment area will decrease. 

Things you should know about #SculpSure include:

24% Reduction in Fat

-       This number is an overall average reduction in the fat on the treated areas, this means, two SculpSure sessions does not equal to double the fat (48%) reduction; each treatment contributes to the achievement of 24% fat loss.

-       This is an average number not a guarantee, some patients may experience more and some patients may experience less, everyone responds differently to laser treatments.

-       To achieve 24% of fat loss, you may need more than one treatment

-       This number is applicable to the treated area only. So if you treat multiple areas you should ensure that you continue to treat the same areas to see improved results.

-       24% fat loss does not necessarily result in 24% weight loss 

Patients can expect to see results in approximately 6 weeks with optimal results seen in 12 weeks. You may re-treat the same area after 6 weeks. 

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

#sculpsure/#Body Contouring/ #Hi Definition Procedures

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future.
The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks. 
The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health.
The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling. 
It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat. 
If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12. 

If you notice lumps after (which I've never seen) I would recommend massage. You should also alert your surgeon.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of her patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment. 
I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results. 

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals. 

Take care,

Dr. Schwartz 

Does SculpSure Results Vary from Person to Person?

Yes, because everyone has a different amount of fat to begin with. SculpSure removes 24% of the treated fat. It is designed to heat a certain volume of fat and is temperature controlled during the 25 minute cycle to transmit the amount of energy to that volume of fat that will result in about a 24% loss based on MRI studies. It does not treat the entire volume of your fat if you have more than the treatment volume. For that you would have to have another treatment.  It was found that too much fat cell death, more than 24%, resulted in side effects in the tissue that you would not want.  That was determined experimentally, not on people.
If you have a small fat volume you will see more relative results sooner than if you have a lot of fat volume.  As you can see from the before and after gallery, 1-2 treatments gives a nice result on people with moderate diet and exercise-resistant fat on the abdomen and love handles.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure results

SculpSure can take an average of 24% of fat. This is what the studies showed over a variety of patient treatments. You some variation based on your body and if you have more than a few centimeters of fat where you were tested it may be more dofficult to easily see your results or even on a day to day basis as your body is going to progressively improve over time. Nonetheless you need to wait a full 3 months to see the levels of results that are commonly seen 

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure results

The fat loss is based on losing up to 24% of the individual treated body mass at the time of treatment. If you and doctor think you can benefit from additional treatments you could have the same area treated again- this should give you an additional loss of up to 24% of whatever fat was remaining.

SculpSure Fat Reduction

SculpSure targets the subcutaneous fat, which is the fat between the skin and the underlying muscles.  Up to 24% of the fat cells can be destroyed in a single treatment.  Having said that you have to remember that at least 76% of the fat cells will still be left behind.  So for patients that have more fat, additional treatments may be required.

It takes at least 12 weeks to see the final results after a SculpSure treatment.  See your doctor for recommended follow-up visits and you should be able to see the improvements on your before and after photos.

Jeff T. Healy, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure up to 12 weeks for full results

Hi Stgriffith,

SculpSure can take up to 12 weeks to see full results and multiple treatments may be necessary. The 24% can vary from person to person depending on their BMI. I will say our patients have been very happy with SculpSure, even our patients with a higher BMI. Best to you, Dr Faraz

Needs A Little Time

In general, expect a 2-3 cm loss over 6-8 weeks. I don't really talk about the 24% reduction because that amount is dependent on the amount of fat you had to start. In the trials, the patients were fairly thin so that 2-3cm was about 1/4 of their fat. If you are a bit more overweight, 2-3 cm will not be 24% reduction. I think the skin tightening effect in middle-aged to older folks does a lot. For younger folks hitting the gym and working on their target areas really helps get better definition. Hope that helps.

Patrick W. Blake, MD
Encinitas Dermatologist

Needs some time

SculpSure works only about an inch deep or so.
This reduction will show up maximally in shaping your body.
The amount reduced varies, and the SculpSure can be repeated if there is more to go.
Dr. Denkler

SculpSure and Fat Melting

The results take 6-12 weeks to appreciate with a good diet and exercise.  We combine with VANQUISH to get even better outcome.  I suggest a second treatment 4 weeks after the first.  Best, Dr. Emer.