Can Sculpsure work on a buffalo hump? (photo)

I have a buffalo hump on the back of my neck. It doesn't feel like bone; it's fat that I can pinch! Would Sculpsure treatment be able to rid the buffalo hump? If not, what non-invasive treatment can?

SculpSure on the Neck

Larissa, I think you need an in-office consultation. From your photo you appear young and thin, and although we see fat deposits in this area they are uncommon in young people. You may need an endocrine evaluation. If it has been present since you were a young child, it should be evaluated to make sure it is fat and not something like a lymphatic malformation. If the lump does appear to be fat, SculpSure should be helpful. Areas over bone are somewhat more tender but it's a nearly painless procedure. Hope that helps.

Encinitas Dermatologist

SculpSure for fat reduction

Hi Larissabon, SculpSure can be used on areas of the body other then abdomen and flanks. If there is fat, it can be treated. SculpSure is a great choice for a noninvasive fat reduction treatment. It is a 25 minute treatment that can destroy 24% of the fat cells without surgery! It is always best to consult with a physician before you are treated.

#Sculpsure/#Body Contouring/ #Hi Definition Procedures

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future. The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks.  The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health. The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling.  It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat.  If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12. 

If you notice lumps after (which I've never seen) I would recommend massage. You should also alert your surgeon.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of our patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment.  I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results. 

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals. 

Take care,

Dr. Schwartz 

Needs an exam

An exam will help to determine the fat and fibrous component to this bulge.
Sculpsure can take down some of it but you may need more than one treatment.
Other options such as Smartlipo or Vaser can help.
Kybella works to remove fat, but it would take a lot of vials and be costly to take down a buffalo hump.
Overall, there are multiple options.
Dr. Denkler

SculpSure for non-invasive fat reduction.

SculpSure can help with a buffalo hump.  Vaser liposuction is a more complete correction.  It would probably require two or three sessions of SculpSure. The cost to get two or three treatments of SculpSure is probably similar to Vaser lipo.  Surgery is more effective but non-invasive treatments are very safe and no downtime. 

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure and Buffalo Hump

This area needs vaser liposuction procedure to get the best outcome.  There can be some improvement with non invasive options but typically this area needs full contouring.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Can SculpSure work on buffalo hump?

SculpSure could potentially be used to reduce fat in a buffalo hump, but this would be considered an off-label use since the device is currently only approved to treat the abdomen and flanks.  An alternative non-surgical treatment would be injection of Kybella, but this would also be considered an off-label use, as it is only approved to treat fat under the chin.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buffalo Hump

Sculpsure is approved for the abdomen and love handles.  Other area may be treated at the direction of a physician.  The key is if there is fat to be treated and can the applicator be safely applied to the area.  Consultation would be you first step. 

Buffalo hump removal

Hi Larissa, receiving an in office consultation by a board certified plastic surgeon would give you initial guidance on whether your issue is simply fat or it is caused by bone structure or another underlying issue.  If the hump is only fat, it may be able to be treated by Scupsure, though it is only FDA approved for the flanks and abdomen.  This could be slightly uncomfortable due to proximity to the bone but it should be tolerable.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

SculpSure for a buffalo hump

SculpSure uses a diode laser to "melt" subcutaneous fat.  It is FDA indicated for the abdomen and flanks, however, it can be used as an off label use on other areas of the body, including a buffalo hump.  I have not used it on this area, but see no reason why it would not work, please visit with your local SculpSure physician for their opinion.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon