What exactly is a columellar scar and does it go away on its own or do I need to get it surgically removed? (Photo)

It's been exactly a week since my rhinoplasty. Thank you!

Columellar scar

Columellar incision is a broken line incision we use to do an open rhinoplasty.  However, the scar is usually not visible as it heals well.  What you have is not on your columella.  It's been only 1 week so you are still swollen from the procedure you had.  I recommend that you wait until the swelling goes down and follow up with your surgeon.

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dear downtown908, This is not a typical columella incision. The incision you have appears to be from a closed rhinoplasty not an open rhinoplasty. The columella incision is a notched incision that goes across the columella and when closed properly generally leaves no noticeable incision. See an example in the video above. I would speak with your surgeon and discuss your current concerns and discuss ways to correct the incision. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Columellar Scar

The columella is the thin strip of skin between the nostrils.  In an "open" rhinoplasty procedure, an incision is made in the columella for access.  Typically the incision is a "broken line" rather than straight line, as that ultimately makes the scar less noticeable down the road.I have never had a patient complain about his or her columellar scar in my 28 years of practice.  Nasal skin heals beautifully; you shouldn't have to worry.

George H. Pope, MD