Chin Implant stitches still there, will they go away?

I had a chin implant 1.5 months ago and although the external stitches were taken out 7 days post op, I still feel the stitches under the skin. My incision was made externally not orally. Are these sutures Permanent or will they eventually go away? It feels really hard under my chin and it's really starting to bother me. I can't get a hold of my surgeon to ask.

Chin sutures

In most cases, internal sutures for chin surgery are resorbable. Sometimes the sutures do not reabsorb and must be removed. It is very important to follow-up with your surgeon because he knows what type of sutures were placed beneath the skin. Some surgeons use non-resorbable sutures to secure the implant. This could be the case for your implant. I prefer to use a bone screw to secure the implant.

Internal suture exposure under chin

It is normal to have internal sutures poke through the skin and not get absorbed. Once you feel the suture, this means that it is exposed and thus will not be able to be reabsorbed. Once this occurs, you are committed to having them pulled out for relief.

Arian Mowlavi, MD