Will I benefit from the Vertical Lengthening Chin Implant (Implantech)? (photos)

I'm Asian male, and thinking of having a chin surgery to fix my weak chin, but scared of genioplasty. Will the Vertical Lengthening Chin Implant (implantech) be a good choice? And will the biggest size - Large - be enough? Thank you doctors.

Chin Implant

After having carefully studied your photos, it appears that a chin implant would correct the issue that concerns you. I prefer to insert implants intraorally (through the mouth), so that no incisions are seen on your chin at all. It takes a bit more time, but is a much more elegant way to augment your chin rather than making visible incision on the exterior of your face. The type of implant and placement makes all the difference in the result, and for this reason, I must say that a consult would be needed to assess the right implant that would bring you proper facial harmony.  An implant with long vertical limb could leave you looking ptotic (meaning it could be an unnatural overcompensation and would make your chin pad look like it was hanging). You do need forward projection, but an in-office consultation would be needed to judge how much of a vertical component would be helpful. 

Lengthening of chin

You certainly have a weak chin - quite a common feature in people of Asian heritage. Chin implants are extremely powerful in enhancing the chin for a more balanced appearance. Especially for man, a stronger chin represents a positive attribute. Implants can be used to provide only anterior projection (forward thrust) or a combination of both. Given your short upper lip, I would not recommend only downward enhancement (= lengthening), but rather a combination of both. Best of luck!

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Benefits of Chin Implant

Hi subti,

In order to properly assess the merits of a chin implant in terms of improving your facial features, a full front and side view photo is necessary so we can get a better idea on the aesthetic proportions of your face. From the given photos however, it looks like your chin lacks forward projection, and a subtle downward projection, but this can only be confirmed upon seeing your full face photo. 

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vertical Lengthening Implant

A complete in office examination would help you and the physician to determine the appropriate implant for your facial contour. The implant should give you the improvement you desire but the examination will help to determine your specific needs in regards to the size of the implant. However, I would recommend seeing a physician with an imaging system to better help you visualize the results you can achieve.

A. James Paine Jr., MD
Beckley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will I benefit from the Vertical Lengthening Chin Implant (Implantech)?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Vertical Lengthening Chin Implant

The combination of vertical lengthening and increasing the horizontal projectionof your chin is exactly the dimensional changes you need. And that is exactly what the vertically lengthening chin implant does…brings the chin down and forward at 4 degress. Do not get the large size as that would be way too big for you. Medium size is the biggest you should consider in this chin implant style.