Loose Skin or Chest Fat, which is it? What procedure should I have to fix it? (photo)

From 18-30 I been active and ate well. never over-weight concentrating now on builidng muscle mass. diet is great size is coming. chest although top good the lower &round sides sags. 8% bf.been given so much mis-leading info as to what it is. went to the docs to see if it was gyno-no.blood tests if testosterone levels were low-no. He suggested i see a plastic surgeon. Seen 4 due to diff info given. 1 - loose skin 2 - fat 3 - both - loose skin how do i no what procedure to have

What is Gynecomastia

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Excess skin

An inperson consultation would confirm what this would be however I would suspect it's loose skin, judging from how much skin you can grab and your otherwise muscular structure.

Loose skin on chest of a man

It appears you do have loose skin and not excess fat. But, you appear to be young with overall good skin quality.    You could potentially be a good candidate for laser skin tightening. A laser is not a replacement for surgery, but for the right candidate, it can provide a very nice result with no downtime or scars.

Keep in mind that the lasers used for skin tightening are also used for hair removal, so you would need to be prepared for the permanent elimination of hair in the area that receives laser treatment.

Look for a plastic surgeon with considerable experience and expertise in gynecomastia surgery who also uses lasers in his or her practice.  

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Chest and skin

Based upon your pinch it looks like loose skin and there really is not much to do with that unless you wnat scars on your chest( not recommending that!).

it's very difficult to tell from the photographs what's going on. There is no photograph straight on without you pinching the skin. My guess is just about anyone, if you grab and pull the skin like that, will look about the same. I am a regular user of the Smartlipo laser and it is great for many things but I would not oversell its ability to dramatically improve the skin tone on your chest.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Laser Liposuction at the Male Chest

There certainly has been an increase in this type of procedure and interest among males in your age group.  Unfortunately, one can not exercise skin; but I have had great success with patients using a laser liposuction technique.  What I can determine from the photos alone is you would benefit from a small resection of breast tissue just under the nipple with laser liposuction.  The main concentration would be with laser, which through the same incision heats the deep dermis from the inside to promote skin contracture.  In this way, direct skin excision can be avoided.  I would recommend you see a plastic surgeon with experience in the area of laser liposuction.

Leon Goldstein, MD
Madison Plastic Surgeon