How long does it take for internal sutures to heal?

I had my implants swapped in October 2013. My left breast tissues were weakened from the surgeon having to "dig out" so much ruptured silicone. My weakened tissue allowed the implant to slip to the bottom of the incision. Revision surgery took place a week ago, today, with excellent results; so far. My question is how long does it take for the two rows of sutures to heal and start forming scar tissue; so I can not have to be so cautious with it?

Internal suture healing

The scar tissue formation around internal sutures starts right away. But the strength of the scar probably takes several months to mature to the point that full activities should be completed. Once you have healed for 2 months, you really should be able to participate in whatever you wish to do.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Internal breast suture healing

Thank you for your question.  Tissues take several months before they achieve near normal "tensile" strength.  We can't wait 3-4 months before getting back to the activities of life, however.  After 4-6 weeks, most surgeons encourage a gradual return to activities.  With internal sutures, I typically encourage patients to get back to activities, but cautiously.  Best to seek the advice of your surgeon as they will likely have specific recommendations. 
Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Revision surgery healing time depends on many factors

Without knowing more details it is not possible to offer advice, and your own surgeon will have given you an answer based on the specifics of your case. For example, in many cases where the tissue was thinned after capsulectomy as you had done, the revision involves adding support with an internal bra such as Strattice. That has a different healing time than simple sutures.

Richard Baxter, MD