How Long is It for the Discoloation to Be Gone After I Done the Vein Treatment?
Discoloration After Vein Treatment
Botox Price Calculator
What would you like to change?
Enter your info to request custom estimates from three local providers.
These providers will send a more accurate price based on your needs.
Doctor Answers 10
Discoloration after Vein Treatment
Hyperpigmentation after sclerotherapy
Hyperpigmentation can occur after treatments for venous disease, whether it is from sclerotherapy or topical laser and can be minimized with the use of compression garments after treatment and the use of topical cream called Scleroquin. See the link below.
The discoloration can last for 2 months to 12 months. If they last longer than that, get a treatment or two with a tattoo laser, and they fade very fast after that.
You might also like...
90% of pigmentation after sclero will resolve within 6 months
In our 25 year experience in over 20,000 patients, 90% of pigmentation after sclerotherapy, if it ever occurs will resolve within 6 months and the other 10% within 1 year. If it is stubborn, we recommend the q-switched ruby laser which vaporizes out the brown iron staining.
Resolution of Discoloration after vein treatment
Brown discoloration or staining of the skin following vein treatment (hemosiderin staining) is not uncommon unfortunately. It can last any where from months to years until it spontaneously resolves. We have not found any really effective treatments to help speed the process. If it is just bruising or remnants of vessels that need to resolve, that can take weeks to even months as well.
How Long can Discoloration Last After Vein Treatment?
Hi Zhi. It can be years. We have had patients come to us regarding a condition called "hemosiderin staining" 1-3 years after their vein injections. This condition causes the are around the injection site to "brown" or bruise semi-permanently.
The good news is that we do have the ability with q-switched lasers to break up this pigment. Finally, one of the main reasons our olive or dark skinned patients opt for laser treatments rather than injections for their veins is that they are able to avoid the discoloration issue altogether.
Hyperpigmentation after treatment of varicose/reticular/telangiectatic leg veins
In almost 100% of patients, any discoloration in skin following sclerotherapy spontaneously resolves within a year (most will resolve sooner than that). This pigment is the result of hemosiderin (a breakdown product of red blood cells) that has been deposited in the tissue while the body is resorbing the treated blood vessels. Rest assured that this pigment will resolve. One way to minimize the potential for this pigment to occur in the first place is to follow-up with your physician approximately two weeks after your sclerotherapy visit. At that time, any coagulum (clotted blood) that have formed following the injections can be drained by your doctor (thus preventing breakdown products from those red blood cells from being deposited into nearby tissue and causing transient discoloration).
Discolouration after Sclerotherapy for Varicosed Veins
This is a great question and a very common problem for people undergoing injection treatment. The hyperpigmentation (dark colour) can stay in your skin for a few years or even longer. It is a result of the iron in the blood being absorbed by the skin after treatment. Time is the best cure but you have to be very patient.
Best of luck.
Hyperpigmentation after varicose vein treatment whether by injection or laser can last up to one year
Dark Coloration after Vein Treatment
Pigmentation changes can occur after any form of varicose vein therapy. This coloration usually fades with time, but the use of topical creams can speed the resolution. You should also avoid sun exposure(including tanning booths) for about 6 weeks after treatment to minimize this issue. Hope this helps.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.