Slight Hearing Loss After Lower Face Lift?

post op everything going well..but i have muffled hearing in both ears! , it is significantly affecting my hearing ..what is this? - I am arranging to have my ears syringed, but has anyone had this problem before

Blood in external auditory canal

Hi Fleurly. 

I concur 100% with all the other answers given here. I am not posting to re-iterate their diagnoses, but more to say I am happy to have a look for you as I practice near London. First port of call should be your surgeon though, but I would advise against syringing. I have seen far too many cases of doctor/ nurse induced perforated eardrum!

All the best 

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slight Hearing Loss After Lower Face Lift

When the skin is separated from the underlying tissues during surgery, small sensory #nerves are cut. Varying degrees of numbness will be present after surgery and will improve gradually as the nerves reconnect to the skin. This process can take from 2-6 months for face, neck and cheeks, and to 9-12 months for the forehead and scalp. Muscle weakness may also be present around the mouth especially if liposuction is used. This typically recovers fully in the months after surgery.

As the nerves regenerate, the itching, burning, tingling and shooting #sensations will occur. Ice, moisturizers and gentle #massaging are helpful during this phase of the #healing process. Frequently there is a tight feeling in the neck, jawline and cheek after a facelift. During surgery, not only the skin but the underlying muscles are tightened to create a better and longer lasting result. Additionally, the #swelling will move downward in the first week and the neck will feel even tighter. Do not be alarmed: the sensation will decrease during the first month.
Some degree of firmness or lumpiness under the skin is normal after surgery and will resolve with time. Local massage will speed resolution of this problem, which normally takes 2-4 months to disappear completely. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Thank you for your question. Here in the Bay Area, we put Bacitracin covered cotton balls into the ear canal to keep fluid out of the ear.  This also prevents blood from leaking into the canal and forming a clot or dried blood which reduces hearing significantly.  Have the ears examined, and there may be some dried surgery products or possibly some cotton if they use that to keep them clear. Localized swelling may also be a factor. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Hearing Loss After Facelift

What you are describing sounds like some blood may have dripped in during your surgery and it just needs to be cleaned. This is pretty straight forward and can be done quickly. I suggest speaking with your surgeon to make sure or scheduling another appointment.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Hearing Loss After Facelift

Some patients may have fluid from the surgery within the external canal.  This should be removed as soon as possible to prevent any type of infection.

Hearing loss after facelift

This is very common and usually results from fluid or even some blood that can get into the ear canal from the facelift incisions. It usually resolves on its own but to be sure, ask your surgeon to examine your ear canal and  remove any old blood or fluid. Attached here is a video that may give you a little more info regarding the facelift. 

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Symptoms of Hearing Loss is Possible After Lower Face Lift

It is possible to have some some dried blood associated with ear wax in your ear canal. Sometimes the solution that is used to clean the face can also get caught in the canal. However, sometimes swelling of the tube that connects the ears to the nose can cause these symptoms (similar to the sensation when you are changing altitudes like in a plane) due to swelling of that area from the tube that is used to keep you breathing during the procedure if you had general anesthesia. An examination by an ear nose and throat physician is advisable. Also to ensure that there is no other pathology that could be causing the muffling of sounds.

Carlo P. Honrado, MD, FACS

Diminished hearing after face lift

Most often diminished hearing after face lift is due to fluid in the ear canal. This can be easily diagnosed with a quick exam and treated with irrigation to remove the fluid.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Slight Hearing Loss after Lower Facelift?

You may have swelling and a little blood in your ear canal.  Consult with an ENT specialist regarding cleaning and exam.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

You probably have some swelling and perhaps some blood in your ear canal.  Cleaning that out should do it. 

Ramtin Kassir, MD