Is It Possible to Have a Neck Lift/lower Facelift with Concealed Scars?

I would have this procedure in a heartbeat if I wasn't so concerned about people noticing the work done. This is probably why women like me continue to spend considerable $ on lasers and fillers. No one can tell and mistakes generally aren't permanent of disfiguring. Also, approximately how long would it be until I can go out and socialize? Thanks for your assistance.

Is it possible to have a Neck lift/lower Facelift with Concealed Scars?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  When performed by a well trained plastic surgeon the scars should be almost invisible and placed meticulously in the hairline and inside the ear. There should be no hair loss and you should still be able to wear your hair short or tied back in a pony tail or bun.  

Depending on the skills your surgeon has

A neck lift/lower facelift should not produce obvious scars. If incisions are made strategically, it should reduce the visibility of surgical scars. During a neck lift/lower facelift, the incisions are made beneath the chin and behind the ears. Depending on the individual and extent of the surgery, short incisions may be made, further minimizing the chance of scarring. With scar management during the healing process (protection from the sunlight and abrasion, for example), the incision lines generally fade to be barely perceptible. Less than 1% of the population can have issues with scars such as keloid scars, this is where in stead of the scars becoming finer, they thicken. Usually patients know if they are prone to keloid scars from other minor injuries, for these patients it is important to consider the use of anti-inflammatory medicines to reduce potential for scarring after surgery. In the majority of patients after facelift surgery, the scars heal well when necessary care and attention has been taken to make the scars discrete and difficult to see. Hiding the scars from facelift and neck lift surgery often takes additional time and may take over 45 minutest to hide the scars on each side. Although short cuts can reduce the length of surgery this is an area where meticulous care over detail is required to ensure the scars are discreet and concealed.

Will scars be visible after a facelift?

When a facelift is performed correctly, the scars should be imperceptible. This is because they are placed in certain areas that keep them out of sight and the tension is placed in the deeper layers, not on the skin surface.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minimizing Scars after a Facelift

Facelift scars can be minimized by creating a slightly irregular contour and placing the incision behind the tragus (on the back of the cartilage of the ear).  Your eye is drawn to a straight line so a slightly irregular contour will make the incision less noticeable.  Also avoiding tension on the incision will help prevent the scar from widening.  In general it takes about 2 weeks to heal to a degree where one feels comfortable going out to social events.

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face and necklift concealment.

Face and necklift concealment can be done as we have for 35 years by placing the incision inside the ear and on the back of the ear so that no scars are seen even with the hair up.

Concealing Scars in Necklift/Lower Facelift

Yes, it is possible to conceal scars with neck lift/lower facelift procedures by utilizing the laser. The Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift is becoming known as a safe and fast alternative to the traditional facelift while providing a natural, non-surgical appearance.

I create a small, hidden incision is created in the natural fold under the chin. Then, instead of using a scalpel, I use a laser, liposuction, and sometimes a chin implant to improve the appearance of a sagging face, jowls, and neck.

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available.A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck and Lower Face Lift With Hidden Scars Possible

Thank you for your question.  The typical lower facelift and neck lift is done with very well hidden scars.  Typically a small incision is placed beneath the chin where it will not be seen and the lower facelift scars can be placed behind the ear and should be well hidden.

Occasionally it is necessary to bring the incision around into the crease beneath your ear lobule.  This scar after healing is typically not noticeable.

Although recovery time varies with the individual typically 2 weeks is required for the bruising and swelling to resolve and for you to feel comfortable in public.  You will however be able to be up and around go out for walks the first 2 or 3 days after surgery and makeup can cover most of the bruising.  However I always advise not to plan an important social function like a wedding or a photography session for 6 weeks after  facelift or neck lift surgery.

SOCIALIZING, SCARRING AFTER LOWER FACELIFT SURGERY

When performing lower facelift surgery, pencil-thin incisions are created in the hair (without altering the hairline or losing hair!) and inside the ear for imperceptible incision lines.  By 10-14 days, going out or seeing friends, family, or colleagues is possible with a little makeup. 

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Concealed Scars with Lower Facelift/Neck Lift

I regularly perform short incision lower facelifts in which the incision is very small and the resulting scar is almost invisible. Just be sure to visit an experienced facial plastic surgeon for the procedure to ensure minimal scarring. Your physical activity should be limited for about 3 weeks following the procedure.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Lower face lift neck lift concealed scars

A lower face/neck lift is routinely performed with the majority of the incision in the crease behind the ear with less than an inch extension in front of the ear.  The placement of these incisions make them easily concealed and therefor difficult to see.

If these scars are still not acceptable to a patient then a liposuction of the jowls and neck can smooth the jawline and tighten the skin with 3 mm incisions behind the ears.

Further tightening may be accomplished using the Cellulaze Sidelaze laser system with only 2 mm incisions in these areas. (Very easily concealed).

Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS