Would undergoing another course of tamoxifen help to eliminate my gynecomastia? Is surgery my only option?

About 2 years ago I experienced gynecomastia. It initially presented in my left nipple and I was put on tamoxifen, during my treatment it then began to emerge on my right nipple also. Thanks to the treatment my right (second gyno) nipple resolved entirely, and the hard lump under my left nipple also disappeared, however on the left, a slight puffiness still remains which makes the areola visible through some shirts. Is surgery my only option to resolve this? Can I do another course of tamoxifen

Tamoxifen and gynecomastia

It is best to be seen again by your physician to have your hormones evaluated before making a determination on treatment.  Surgery is considered when the breast enlargement does not respond to medication or diet and/or exercise.  #gynecomastia #Options #Medication

Best to be evaluated by your primary care or endocrinologist to discuss the possibility of another course of medical treatment.  Otherwise, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate lots of experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Best wishes.

Medical options for gynecomastia

Tamoxifen, anastrozole are two of the medications that can be prescribed to reduce enlargement of male breast tissue. it all has to with estrogen.  I would recommend a hormone testing panel to evaluate for any hormonal causes. then consider a surgical evaluation after that.  

Please make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.

Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

You should check with your endocrinologist

Get Tamoxifen answer from your endocrinologist. It will be based on your hormonal status. If you do not have underlying hormonal issues then surgery is your only answer. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tamoxifen for gynecomastia

Thank you for your question and without photos I can't tell you much about your problem and I think this not the venue to discuss this kind of problem.  I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon who can guide you through this problem and give you the best options to resolve this for you.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon