Would undergoing another course of tamoxifen help to eliminate my gynecomastia? Is surgery my only option?

About 2 years ago I experienced gynecomastia. It initially presented in my left nipple and I was put on tamoxifen, during my treatment it then began to emerge on my right nipple also. Thanks to the treatment my right (second gyno) nipple resolved entirely, and the hard lump under my left nipple also disappeared, however on the left, a slight puffiness still remains which makes the areola visible through some shirts. Is surgery my only option to resolve this? Can I do another course of tamoxifen

Doctor Answers 5

Tamoxifen and gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is best to be seen again by your physician to have your hormones evaluated before making a determination on treatment.  Surgery is considered when the breast enlargement does not respond to medication or diet and/or exercise.  #gynecomastia #Options #Medication

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Would undergoing another course of tamoxifen help to eliminate my gynecomastia? Is surgery my only option?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Best to be evaluated by your primary care or endocrinologist to discuss the possibility of another course of medical treatment.  Otherwise, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate lots of experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Best wishes.

Medical options for gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Tamoxifen, anastrozole are two of the medications that can be prescribed to reduce enlargement of male breast tissue. it all has to with estrogen.  I would recommend a hormone testing panel to evaluate for any hormonal causes. then consider a surgical evaluation after that.  

Please make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.

Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

You should check with your endocrinologist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Get Tamoxifen answer from your endocrinologist. It will be based on your hormonal status. If you do not have underlying hormonal issues then surgery is your only answer. 

Vasdev Rai, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Tamoxifen for gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and without photos I can't tell you much about your problem and I think this not the venue to discuss this kind of problem.  I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon who can guide you through this problem and give you the best options to resolve this for you.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.