TCA cross after microneedling.
Doctor Answers 2
TCA peel and microneedling
Thank you for asking about your TCA cross and microneedling.
- First what is involved -
- The TCA cross uses 80% trichloroacetic acid to treat deep acne pit scars.
- Microneedling places thousands of tiny punctures superficially in the skin to improve fine lines, superficial scars and skin texture.
- So you do NOT want strong acid placed onto raw skin.
- So the two can be done together ONLY if the TCA is applied first and has fully dried.
- Otherewise the microneedling will drive strong acid under the skin and damage the skin.
- To be completely safe, the two should be done separately but can be done at the same time by an experienced plastic or facial plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist - who takes time to do it precisely.
- I would not myself have this combination done by anyone else.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
TCA CROSS, micro needling and lasers
Depends. If I am doing individual scars ie. ice pick scars, then I often combine TCA CROSS, punch excision, energy based RF micro needling and Co2 laser in the one procedure, aiming to treat each scar type with a matched procedure. So - the answer is yes, it can be done with caution. All the best, Dr Davin S. Lim