TCA cross after microneedling.
Doctor Answers 2
TCA CROSS, micro needling and lasers
Depends. If I am doing individual scars ie. ice pick scars, then I often combine TCA CROSS, punch excision, energy based RF micro needling and Co2 laser in the one procedure, aiming to treat each scar type with a matched procedure. So - the answer is yes, it can be done with caution. All the best, Dr Davin S. Lim
TCA peel and microneedling
Thank you for asking about your TCA cross and microneedling.
- First what is involved -
- The TCA cross uses 80% trichloroacetic acid to treat deep acne pit scars.
- Microneedling places thousands of tiny punctures superficially in the skin to improve fine lines, superficial scars and skin texture.
- So you do NOT want strong acid placed onto raw skin.
- So the two can be done together ONLY if the TCA is applied first and has fully dried.
- Otherewise the microneedling will drive strong acid under the skin and damage the skin.
- To be completely safe, the two should be done separately but can be done at the same time by an experienced plastic or facial plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist - who takes time to do it precisely.
- I would not myself have this combination done by anyone else.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.