Should I mix different HA's for best result?

I've gradually built up my cheekbones using a filler called Aliaxin which is a HA similar to Juvaderm Voluma (maybe even somewhat thicker). I've currently got about 2,5 ml in each cheek or so (my cheeks were very hollow prior to the treatments despite my young age.) For my next treatment I would like to try Juvederm Voluma to get a better lifting effect. Is it optimal to mix different types of HA's? Is there any risk of the "old" substance breaking down or disappearing from adding Voluma?

Layering Dermal Fillers Can Give Optimal Results

Working with your dermatologist, different fillers are often layered together to create volume in your face and also to stimulate collagen production. Different HA fillers have unique properties so they each work best in different areas of the face. It is quite common to mix and match them. However, Aliaxin is not FDA approved in the United States. If you have moved here from another country, it is important to discuss all the fillers you have used so your doctor can treat accordingly. Your prior fillers will indeed eventually break down over time, as will the new ones, but layering them does not cause the old ones to break down. During your consultation, your dermatologist will evaluate the condition of your skin and plan the best way to add shape and volume to your cheek area. Please be sure to consult and work with a board-certified dermatologist with years of expertise in using dermal fillers such as Juvederm, Voluma, Restylane and Sculptra.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Mixing Fillers/Hyaluronic Acid Fillers

I often mix fillers and layer them or use them in combination to get the best results.  With so many great injectables now on the market,  one of the advantages of consulting with an expert is that that they know how to combine the  best treatments and how to use the different injectables to get the best cosmetic results.  Voluma, Juvederm, Restyalne Silk, and Sculptra area all different types of products that I layer in my practice.  Best, Dr. Green

Voluma and other thinners

Voluma is an excellent alternative to currently used fillers. We use it for restoring mid face volume in the cheek that had previously been difficult to enhance. We have seen great results lasting 12 months and more.
I would suggest you discuss your concern regarding your prior treatment with a dermatologist that has experience with Voluma. We do use it with other fillers used in different areas.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Mixing Fillers

In my practice we often layer fillers depending on the individual persons needs and goals. I suggest posting photos and/or seeing a facial sculpting expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Mixing fillers

Thank you for your question.  While I am unfamiliar with injecting Aliaxin which I think is an Eastern European (Bulgaria, Romania??) filler we often mix and match different fillers to get best results for patients.  There should be no risk for breaking down the Aliaxin, as the only substance that can dissolve hyaluronic acid fillers is hyaluronidase which is not a component of Voluma.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias 

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon