Botox have spread all over my face after a massage. How long does it take to wear off? Looking like a freak.

I had 10 units injected in each masseter ( for grinding) 1 week ago, ( my 11,s ( glabella) about 1 month ago. I had a deep tissue massage in the face to get rid of some fibrosis filler left me in the cheeks, but the massage was allover my face. Today i woke up looking like a freak, cant smile, cheeks dropped, hollow deep set eyes with tons of wrinkles underneath and the feeling is claustrophobic as my hole face feels stiff and paralyzed. How long will this last? I look so odd, fake and Evil!!!

Massage after Botox

Thank you for your question memyself15. Botox is a great treatment to address frown lines or 11's and to relax the masseter to help with teeth grinding. I recommend avoiding heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours after a treatment and avoiding lying down flat for four hours after a treatment. These activities may lead to movement of the Botox and cause side effects. I also recommend avoiding a massage when laying flat, especially on the face, for four hours after a Botox treatment. A deep tissue massage in the face, as its name implies, may affect the deep tissues in the face. This is a good question to address to your massage therapist. Side effects from Botox typically are seen in the first week or two after a treatment. Most people enjoy the results of their Botox for three to four months, at which point the skin is back to their baseline level. I recommend consulting with your doctor for specific advice. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox and Results

It is unlikely that Botox could cause this new onset one week post treatment. I suggest following up with your physician for further evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Botox spread after facial massage

If you had the massage directly after getting your Botox injections, it could have spread.  However, if you got your massage a few days later, it didn't cause your Botox to spread.  Your results could be from bad injection technique.  It takes a few days to a week for you to see the effects of treatment, and it might be coincidence that your Botox kicked-in the day after your massage.

Lawrence Osman, MD

Botox Spread?

10 units in each masseter is not enough to create all the symptoms you describe. It's on the low end of masseter injection. The Botox you had injected a month prior is already being metabolized and not prone to movement with massage. I advise you follow up with your masseuse. Perhaps what you describe is the aftereffect of their massage techniques? Perhaps the massage worked so well, the filler and fibrosis that was plumping up your skin has dissolved and you are now back to your baseline appearance? If indeed your symptoms are related to Botox, which is highly unlikely, you may expect a resolution of your issues about 3-6 months after your last injection. Share your concerns with your injector. Best of luck.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Botox and massage

If your last botox injection was 1 week ago, I don't think what you are experiencing has anything to do with your botox being manipulated by the massage.  Good luck

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD
Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and face massage

Sorry to hear about your experience with Botox. You should have probably received post care instructions from your injector which should have included instructions to avoid facial massages and heavy lifting/exercise for a day or so. The good news is that the Botox will wear off and your facial movements will return to normal. The bad news is that it may take a while. You had a relatively low dose injected into the masseters so hopefully the amount of Botox that spread is not much and so will wear off shortly. I recommend contacting your injector to discuss your results. 

Botox spead

Botox is only vulnerable to movement the first 24 hours after injections. I doubt very much that your new appearance is due to 20 units of Botox and a message that I can't figure out if it was before or after the masseter Botox. Please seek medical consultation as soon as possible.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Looking bag after Botox injections followed by massage to face

Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing. You should make an appointment with your injector for full evaluation. I hope you feel better.