What's the best procedure for a thinner face? (Photo)

I carry a lot of extra fullness in the lower half of my face. I am fit, so being overweight is not the issue. I have become very frustrated with the immature look of my face and am seeking advice on how to get a thinner, more defined and mature-looking face. I've heard of Botox and buccal fat removal, but am not sure which is more effective and/or more suitable to my situation.

Best Procedure for Thinner Face

Embrace your fullness! It portrays youth. Many woman are spending lots of money trying to get your look but unfortunately end up looking overinflated and unnatural. You have the fullness naturally and wear it beautifully, With age your face will naturally thin out. That's what happened with me. If you do want an intervention, buccal fat can help reduce fullness on the lateral aspects of your cheek, not the areas on either side of your nose that plump up when you smile. Botox injecionts into the masseter muscles done every 3 months for 1 year, then less frequently thereafter will help soften the jawline.

Sacramento Physician

Botox and fillers to contour the face

Thank you for your question mamottonen. Botox and fillers can be used to contour the face. Fillers such as Voluma can enhance the cheekbone. Simultaneous Botox treatments in the masseter can slim down the lower face. When done together improvements can be seen. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Facial fullness

Please be cautious about getting treatment for facial fullness. Botox is not going to reduce the fullness of the upper cheeks without having a significant effect on your smile. It is not the right approach. Removal of buccal fat is permanent and you're likely to regret it as you get older, Facial fullness is associated with a more youthful look, and as you mature your face is likely to look deflated and older, especially after buccal fat removal - just the opposite of what you will want. Many people invest a lot of money in restoring fullness of the face to achieve a rejuvenated appearance. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything. Love your youthful face! There are other ways to impress people  with your maturity - the way you carry yourself, what you have to say, the way you behave, the way you dress, the style of your accessories and hair, etc. 

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat; Buccal Fat Pad; Botox; Liposuction

If you want a more slimming look, botox can be used on the jawline and masseter, buccal fat pad removal and liposuction.  Please see a facial contouring expert for evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Thinning a full face and cheeks with Botox or Buccal Fat removal

Dear mamottonen:

Thanks for sharing your photos! It always seems like you want what someone else has and vice versa! You describe yourself as fit with a full face. 

You have a gorgeous smile, smooth skin and beautiful features. Loss of cheek fat is associated with aging. If you remove it during your youth, an over gaunt appearance in later years occurs. 

As Dr. Odunze-Geer said below, "embrace" your beauty. Let it cheer you up. If this isn't enough, I do not believe removal of the buccal fat pads will help "thin" your face but simply add deeper dimples. If clenching your teeth does not produce widening of the jaw width then Botox to the masseters will not help. 

If you wish more direction, please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Oral Surgeon with experience in jaw evaluation for improved facial proportions and balance. 

I wish you the very best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Structure for your#face

I would want to see you in person before proceding, but I might suggest using a  #filler product like #Radiesse or #restylanelyft and doing some malar (cheekbone) enhancement to define your cheekbones. I believe it would create a bit more structure to your mid face and would help with a thinner illusion.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Facial fullness

Fullness is the result of both soft tissue and the underlying bone structure. If you just use botox then the underlying bone structure and any overlying fatty tissue wont change. You can change your facial shape, but a proper examination of both bone and soft tissue is necessary for you to make a good decision. Especially since you would likely prefer a definitive approach and not one that requires repetitive procedures.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Lower face fullness

Thanks for your question. An in person exam would be necessary to better assess your face but you may be a good candidate for Botox injections into the masseter muscle along your jawline. This can help to taper the width of the lower face to help you achieve a more classically feminine shape.

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Small doses of Botox can help

Small doses of Botox into the masseter muscles can help slim your face and the treatment is becoming quite popular.

Combination treatment with Botox and fillers

Combination treatment with fillers in the midface and temples and Botox into the masseters can be used to slim the facial profile. I suggest an in person consultation with an experienced injector.