Botox in the corrugator only? (Not the procerus).

I've had botox twice over the past couple of years and both times was disappointed in that, whilst fixing my "11s" it also blocked my ability to raise my inner eyebrows, resulting in a slight droop. It feels like the muscles just above/ along the inner brow) squeeze everything down and in, whilst the muscles just above the centre of my nose lift. Can you fix the glabella by injecting JUST the corrugators and NOT anywhere in the centre of my eyebrows?

Botox For The Glabella - Avoiding Brow Depression Takes Some Skill

Thanks for your question. It sounds like whoever is injecting your Botox is weakening the frontalis muscle a little. In order for your medial brows to go down as a result of Botox injection the toxin must be weakening a muscle that normally raises the brows in that area. The only muscle that does that is the frontalis. The corrugators pull laterally and the procerus pulls down. The depressor supercillii muscles also pull down. I would suggest the opposite of what you are thinking. Inject the procerus to get a lift, inject the corrugators, but stay low on the brow so as not to get the frontalis fibers and inject the depressor supercilia muscle to lift the brow. Make sure to find an experienced Botox injector to do all that. It can be tricky to do it right. Hope that helps!

Botox for my brow frown lines ("11's").

Yes, you can give very small amounts or in targeted areas to fine-tune the results.  The lower amounts given generally result in less duration/effect but allow some persistent movement that may be desired.  Further, some Botox to the depressor superciliaris muscle at the inner brow areas will help the central brow slightly elevate.  The corrugators can be given Botox and skipping the procerus.  I would suggest finding an experienced injector in your area, who is willing to listen to you concerns and wishes.  Best regards.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and Best Results

You can absolutely have a small area treated with Botox and not both areas.  You may find that you like this better and have more natural looking results with a "baby" amount of Botox.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you for your excellent question.  Paralysis of the corrugated muscles should help resolve any vertical wrinkle development in the glabellar region while procerus inactivation helps to treat the horizontal wrinkles at the top of your nose.  With paralysis of these areas this should prevent your brows from drooping.  If botox is placed near your eyebrow causes the frontalis muscle to weaken (the muscle responsible for elevating your brow and which creates horizontal forehead wrinkles ) this may lower your brow.  I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your previous injection pattern and amounts used to try and adjust the injection pattern to not have your eyebrows affected.  Hope this helps.

Inject just corrugators with Botox?

I do this frequently for people who don't get horizontal creases in the nasion with frowning. This isn't going to correct the problem though. What is happening is the lower frontalis is getting hit with the Botox too. The injection needs to be done deep and low in the medial corrugators and the depressor supercilii needs to be injected too.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Tailoring your Botox by targeting the muscles causing your wrinkles.

Botox is a medication injected into muscles to weaken them, so they pull less on the skin to produce fewer or softer wrinkles.Muscles that are causing the pattern of wrinkles or muscles pulling stronger in one area/side can be treated with stronger doses. Before each new patient I examine the muscles and take photos. Before each subsequent injection, I review the previous dose and locations and evaluate the effect to tailor the treatment further. Your injector really needs to know the muscles of the face to give you a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox twice over the past couple of years and both times was disappointed in that, whilst fixing my "11s" it also blocked my abi

Hi, I have used Botox (Xeomin or Dysport) for 30 years. From what you describe, it's the Botox that's being placed to weaken the corrugated (Orbicularis muscle is also within the same area) and not the Procerus (a nasal root muscle responsible for horizontal wrinkles across the nasal root) that's creating the droop.  Placing the Botox vertically along the Labella without injecting any directly above the head of the eyebrows seems a reasonable adjustment.Hope this helps.

Botox and Results

Botox, in small doses, can be meticulously placed to allow improvement of the 11's while retaining motion of the eyebrow. I suggest consulting with an expert for an in person evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Botox To Prevent Drooping

Botox can be effectively given between the eyes to prevent the 11 lines and the horizontal crease between the nose.  Injecting the procerus will prevent the horizontal crease between the eyes. All injections in this area are in muscles that depress the eyebrows. In injecting these muscles and weakening, Botox injections this area should lift the eyebrows.The horizontal lines in the forehead are caused by movement of the frontalis muscle.  This muscle is also responsible for raising the eyebrows. Injections in this muscle may cause lowering or drooping of the eyebrows. If you want to ensure you have no drooping of the areas between the eyes, do not have injections in your forehead.I hope this helps

If you want motion then perhaps don't use the botox and just try to soften the lines with fillers. Best of luck.