Day 1 & Day 12 of masseter Botox. Not much changes. Should I get extra jabs? (photos)

Dear Doctors, I had a masseter botox injection (3 injections each on the left cheek n right cheek) and it's already been 12 days. I don't see much changes. I wasn't sure how many units she uses. But this clinic I go too does botox treatment in 2 schedules. First time, 3 injections each of small doses and 2nd visit, the doctor shall review and decide if you need extra jabs. Should I ask for extra jabs during my 2nd review? It is scheduled on Day 16.

Botox for masseter reduction

Botox for masseter reduction can be a very safe and predictable way to create slimming and tapering of the jawline.  When performed by a surgeon experienced in the treatment, it will create a slimming effect in 4-6 weeks which will continue for 3-4 months.  Maximal results will be achieved with serial treatments after 4-6 months.

Change in Masseter with Botox takes TIME

The Botox will weaken your muscles within two weeks but the change of facial shape can take much longer. The muscles first must become inactive and then lose volume. This often takes months and multiple treatment , not weeks. If your muscles are still strong, consider more product but if you expect to see a new shape to yopur face you need to be patient

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox for masseters

I think you should go back and ask you doctor for an evaluation. If the muscle is still very active, more can be injected. If the muscle is weakened significantly, it is better to wait and get the second injection as scheduled. See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox for the masseter

Thank you for your question Catwhiskers. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It can also be used to slim the lower face by placing it in the masseter muscle which is used for biting. The masseter is a larger muscle and requires higher dosing than other muscles on the face. It may take a few treatments to slim down the muscle. So patience is important. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox and Masseter

Botox is a great injection for the masseter muscle.  If you find that there is not enough change then definitely return to the office and have it evaluated and more injected.  Best, Dr. Green

Masseter Botox injection results

Great question. I usually tell my patients that it takes up to 2 weeks for the muscle to relax but then 4-6 weeks for the muscle to decrease in bulk (which provides the slimming effect). If it is your first time getting the injection, you may not see the slimming until you have had a few treatments. I would wait for a few more weeks to see your results. Too early at this point.