What amount of lip filler do I need to get a natural full lip? (photo)

I would like my top lip slightly bigger but I don't want my lips to get too swollen from the procedure as I don't want it to look like I've had it done so what is the recommended amount for me? Would 1ml make my lips swollen?

1CC

You should start out with maybe 1cc of filler and go from there. You do not want to overdo too much filler in the lips. It also depends on the look you are going for too. You can always add more filler to the lips if needed. Just remember if you are going to do your lips and you do not want to bruise you should not take any aspirins or anything that will thin the blood since brusing can occur.

What amount of lip filler do I need to get a natural full lip?

Hi, we have performed many lip augmentations using dermal fillers over the past 30 years.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty the lips are aesthetically balanced when they are moderately sized with the upper lip approximately 75% the size of the lower lip.  From the photos your upper lip is at about 55%.  You can have some dermal filler, should be less than 1 cc, to the upper lip to create that ideal proportion.  IMHO lips look overdone when the upper lip is equal to or larger than the size of the lower lip which should be avoided.

Hope this helps.

Natural lips

Lip augmentation is all about a healthy conversation between patients and their surgeons. I would recommend finding a plastic surgeon that really listens and tries to understand what your goals are for a natural look especially based on your current shape and size of lips. A thin hyaluronic acid like Belotero can work great in the lips. Remember not everything has to be in done in the first session. Sometimes your product can be saved for a week or so and injected if you desire more augmentation so don't feel pressure to get it right in the first go. Best of luck! MMT

As much or as little as you like

Hi AZB

Thanks for posting your question. 

Make sure you see a qualified and experienced surgeon who uses natural products like Juvederm. Non-surgical cosmetic procedures such as lip filler injections have proved an effective way to provide a more puckered look. Although some lip fillers are permanent or very long lasting, most patients and practitioners prefer temporary lip enhancement through dermal lip injections which are effective for nearly a year.

The lip filler comes in 1ml syringes which you would pay for. However you can get the plastic surgeon to put in a little at a time, so you can see the result and not get more than you wanted.

Good Luck

Lip augmentation with fillers

Thank you for your question. I typically recommend for my patients to start with one syringe (1 ml). It is always best to start conservative and add additional filler down the line if more volume is desired. There can be some swelling after lip injections usually peaking the first few days.

Dr. Leonard Lu

Leonard Lu, MD

Lip Fillers Long Term, Use Cannulas and a Conservative approach

Go slow otherwise the lips will get very swollen.  I suggest a formal consultation with a facial sculpting expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hello AZB,
Thanks for your question.
Actually, your lips look quite full now in the picture.  For this reason, 1ml of filler would be too much, I'm guessing.  Depending on the shape and projection you seek, I would think that 0.2 - 0.4ml would be conservative but elegant.
See an injection specialist in your area for an in-person evaluation.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon