My body holds water. Is it o.k. to drink a lot after liposuction? How soon should I wear the garment?

Fluid Intake Encouraged After Liposuction

Drinking water is fine after liposuction and actually decreases edema by getting rid of sodium when you pee. It is the salt (Sodium that helps retain water in the body). In my practice, A compression garment placed in surgery immediately after liposuction (steristrip protects the sutures) is recommended and beneficial after liposuction because:
  1. It restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure.
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising.
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking.
If bulging ridges, creases or bands are present above, within or below your garment, then you probably need to change garments - see your plastic surgeon.
It is common to have weight gain due to edema, serum that collects in the area, and the tumescent fluid that was injected. This will resolve over time. The more you wear the garment initially, the quicker this fluid resolves.
Edema: a condition characterized by an excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body.
The length of time that the garment should be worn varies depending on the amount of fat removed, the elastic nature of your skin, how much loose skin remains, and other factors. Your surgeon would give you the best advice, however this is the general routine for my patients.
The first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized, and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in so I can confirm that it fits well.
Most important advice is to listen to your surgeon, as he or she knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin, and amount of skin redundancy.
I recommend that my patients wear their garments for a minimum of three weeks full time then for twelve hours at a time (day or night). If there is not a lot of redundant skin, this continues to a maximum of six weeks.
To be effective, the garment needs to fit snugly—but not too tight as that can make it difficult to sleep or cause pressure problems (inspect your skin when it is exposed if you are uncomfortable). As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits. A Spanx-type garment would work fine, rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor’s office.

Drinking Water After Liposuction and Wearing the Compression Garment

Drinking clear liquids after liposuction will help hydration status and is fine.  I typically recommend compression garments for the first 4 to 6 weeks, but you should follow the recommendations of your plastic surgeon.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Drinking after liposuction

As long as you are asking about drinking non-alcoholic fluids after liposuction, the answer is yes, it's ok to stay well hydrated.  If you have medical issues with fluid retention you should check in with your general physician to see if any of your medications should be altered around the time of your surgery.

Lipo

I recommend to my patients to stay well hydrated after liposuction. The excess will be removed by the body

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Water and liposuction

It is always a good idea to stay well hydrated after a surgical procedure because the body tends to retain fluid and what is called "third space" it by pulling it out of your bloodstream.

Consumption of salt not consumption of water aggravates postoperative swelling.

The sodium in salt is the element that causes retention of total body water, postoperative swelling. Water by itself does not cause swelling. Drink as much water as you wish.