Hydroquinone for mommy make over scars? (photo)

im just over 3 weeks post from mommy make over. My PS has me using scarguard begining at 3weeks. Would a Rx such as Hydroquinone work better?

Scar Management Post Mommy Makeover Op

Your #healing will continue for 2-3 months following the procedure(s) as the #scars will be evolving. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. Also some severe scars can be treated with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery.

Scar therapy

We recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy.  We have seen consistent results with this product line and our patients have been very pleased.  As with any scar therapy, the results will take time so try to be patient.

Camille Cash, MD

Scar treatment after mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over scars.

• Your surgeon is giving you good advice.
  • Hydroquinone is specifically for lightening skin -
  • When it comes to scars, it is only effective used before surgery and only needed by people with color in their skin and a tendency to form dark scars.
  • Enjoy your result and give your scars time - it take six months to see your final result, at the earliest.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hydroquinone

Thanks for inquiry. Hydroquinone is best used a few months after surgery as it can irritate the skin.  Please discuss when your surgeon his/her timing, and good luck.

Scar creams after Breast Augmentation

For my patients I have a scar cream I recommend but not hydroquinone especially so soon after surgery. I would stick with what you surgeon said and give it time. It can appear pink or red for 6 months so make sure you give it time! Best of Luck

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Hydroquinone for mommy makeover scars?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Though always best to discuss any surgical incision site care with your surgeon hydroquinone and retinols can be useful in improving the appearance of scars.  You do need to allow sufficient time for the incisions to initially heal but can then pursue additional maneuvers at scar appearance improvement.  

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Scars

All early surgical scars look red and angry for at least 3 months after surgery. Rely on your surgeon's advice and use the scar cream as recommended because hydroquinone not indicated at this time. Best of luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Scar treatment

Hi Siren,

Among the many scar care products that exist, only two ingredients have the best scientific evidence behind them: silicone and cepalin (Mederma). Scarguard contains silicone so you are already taking the right steps!

Hydroquinone would not be appropriate for you at this point in time.  Keep in mind that scars mature over the course of 6 months to a year - you will definitely see some dramatic changes! It is common for scars to be mildly inflamed at only 3 weeks out. 

Follow up with your plastics surgeon regularly to ensure that you don't have any healing problems or excess scar formation, such as a keloid. 

Hope that helps,

Alexander M. Sailon, MD

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia

Alexander M. Sailon, MD
McLean Physician