How many weeks post Mommy makeover can you lift over 15 lbs?

I have a 1 year old and I can't remember if my doctor answered my question or if I even remembered to ask

Lifting over 15 pound after Mommy Makeover

I have my patients wait almost 6 weeks to lift over 15 pounds. Ask for help and try to be careful as you don't want to have a complication following an operation you probably waited a long time for! Best of Luck 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

How long until you can lift over 15 lbs?

I tell my patients 6 weeks after a tummy tuck, ideally.  However, I understand you can't stop being a mom.  You just have to use your best judgement and be very careful.  Make sure to ask your plastic surgeon what his specific protocol is because we all have different post-op instructions.  Good luck!

DrDerby

Thank you for your question. I would recommend to wait 5-6 weeks post op before lifting weights again. Of course talk this over with your surgeon. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Lifting Restrictions

What I recommend to my patients that they can start light exercise after 3 weeks following their surgery.   I would recommend waiting until at least 6-8 weeks to do any strenuous exercise including lifting over 20 pounds. I would wait until 8 weeks to start your usual routine again since  you are having multiple procedures done. Better safe than sorry. Every surgeon is different so please refer to your specific doctors instructions since they know your situation better. Good luck in your recovery.

Lifting over 15 lbs After a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. 

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time. Now, the intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.
In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.
Always talk to a Plastic Surgeon to discuss your issues and concerns. 

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Lifting weights after breast augmentation and tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for this question.

There are some variations in the severity of surgery with a mommy makeover and that can influence rehabilitation and return to full activities including exercise and lifting weights, this of course includes lifting your baby!

If the implants are placed under muscle and if there has been aggressive muscle tightening in the tummy then you have two sites for problems with the muscle. You would not want to risk loss of the benefit of muscle tightening in the tummy; in the breasts you could suffer more swelling by heavy activities. On the other hand with a 1 year old I can understand how difficult it must be for you not to pick him up, also your child of course does not understand that you are being careful for a reason. For my patients I tend to be cautious about heavy lifting until 6 weeks after surgery when the muscles will have really knitted together and the majority of the acute healing phase has peaked in the breasts; I then advise gently working up activities and exercise so that by 12 weeks after surgery you are back to where you were prior to surgery. I modulate this basic regimen depending on circumstances and on the degree of surgery undertaken; also in the case of mothers like yourself my compassion for parent child bonding but we have to consider the effects for you in the long term and I advise patients like yourself just to get as much help in the house as you can persuade friends and family to give you; by all means cuddle your child but best done from a sitting position with someone handing the baby or helping rather than you yourself having to lift. How well you are doing this will reveal itself to you by discomfort etc., your body will normally tell you so you have to pay attention and listen to it. There will also be other detailed and specific advice that can be given which I am sure your plastic surgeon will detail for you or even have as a printed handout.

I hope that you found this information to be helpful.

My very best wishes on the best outcome after your surgery and enjoy your baby!

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Exercise

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to perform lifting > 10 pounds 4 - 6 weeks following breast augmentation. You may return to walking and light lifting sooner, but would not perform any strenuous activity without clearance from your surgeon. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing. Good luck with your recovery.

Lifting

Generally you want to wait about 4-6 weeks before lifting more than 10 pounds.  This will vary though by surgeon.  It is best to contact your doctor for specific instructions as he/she is most familiar with the details of your surgery and how you are progressing through recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

Lifting Restrictions

Hi ~ Great question. It is important to follow your post operative instructions to prevent any complications or delay in healing. You should discuss this with your surgeon but we suggest no lifting over 10-15 pounds for at least 4 weeks.

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician