What are the symptoms for infected seroma? (Photo)

I have a seroma on My right after mommy makeover-full tummy tuck/MR/Lift/implants My PS aspirated 100cc's last Friday and I'm going back again this Friday. What do I look for in case it becomes infected? It doesn't hurt or anything just feels squishy and it's visibly more swollen. I will be 5 weeks post op on Friday. I will definitely ask him what to look out for also.

Detecting an infected seroma

Thank you for asking about your seroma

• Signs of infection of a seroma include redness, pain, fever and an enlarging seroma.
  • Your surgeon seems to be taking good care of you - 
  • If you or he are concerned about infection, the seroma fluid can be cultured to look for infection.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Symptoms of infection

Symptoms of infection from any surgical site usually has the following symptoms:

• redness
  • tenderness
  • fever
  • drainage

In general, if you feel more tired than usual, the area becomes firmer and more tender and perhaps even showing signs of redness, you should suspect an infection and seek your plastic surgeons help as soon as possible.  It is fairly rare to get an infected seroma unless there are sutures in there that already are contaminated.

Good luck with the rest of your tummy tuck recovery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Infection

If you are concerned that you have an active infection you need to contact your surgeon for instructions.  Some signs of infection are fever, pain and redness at the infected site, and general malaise.  Your surgeon will evaluate the fluid that is removed as well as the surrounding tissues, however if you are noticing changes before your appointment it is best to call.

Camille Cash, MD

Infection

The usual signs of an infection are:

1. Pain
  2. Redness
  3. Heat
  4. Fever, temperature > 100.4 C
  5. Swelling of the tissue

Samuel Beran, MD