Laser Treatment for Crepey Neck Skin?

I am 57 yrs. old with a thin build. I don't have excess fat on my neck but do have what I refer to as 'crepey' skin in the center.

Can this skin be tightened via a laser procedure, or am I doomed to undergo some type of invasive procedure to improve the appearance? (I don't have a sagging jaw line, or jowls so am not considering a mini facelift.) Thanks!

Neck rejuvenation

Lasers for skin tightening will never replace surgery. But, for the right person, they can improve skin quality and delay the ned for surgery. In fact, lasers can sometimes enhance the result of surgery by making the surface of the skin smoother and more youthful. In my practice it is not uncommon for me to include some laser and skin care services before and after surgery to help improve the quality of the skin.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Neck rejuvenation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Laser (or other wavelength energy) treatment vs. necklift

Lynn13

There is no such thing as laser or non-surgical neck lift, even though there are many claims. In my practice we have available a full range of laser resurfacing, non-ablative skin tightening, HA fillers, etc. in addition to standard and short-scar or limited facelifts. We offer specific procedures to patients based on each patient's needs or wants. Your age alone is not a determinate of what procedure will give you the best result.

We recommend neck lift for 3-dimensional improvement of facial and neck aging changes (loose skin, jowling, poor jawline definition, under-chin bands or folds, etc.). In your post, it does not sound like these are your issues, but I suspect you would be surprised that the procedure is less onerous than you imply.

We recommend non-surgical skin tightening for textural skin changes. Treatment of surface looseness can improve your appearance. Crepey skin is in this category. A series of laser and intense-pulsed light treatments, and periodic maintenance treatments, can give moderate improvement.

Both types of procedures may be useful for some patients. They do not achieve the same kinds of results: they can be complimentary. I suggest you seek other in-person consultations. The education should help you choose.

PS: Allow me to clarify one point. A "mini facelift" is a procedure to improve the cheeks without much done for the neck. A surgical neck treatment would either be a neck-lift (alone) or a part of a standard facelift.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Lynn13

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for a Crepey neck with a Good jaw Line and No Jowls

While a neck lift or lower facelift is a good option for crepey skin of the neck, if you are not interested in surgery then the non-surgical options to tighten include:

·       Microneedling.  As long as the individual doing this treatment is aggressive enough and you are willing to have a few treatments, this can be an excellent option for tightening the skin of the neck.

·       Lasers.  There are a lot of different lasers.  The more aggressive lasers should not be used on the delicate skin of the neck since there is a high risk of pigment changes and scarring.  Most lasers should not be used on any skin with color.

·       Chemical peels.  The medium depth peels like the VI peel are a great way to tighten the skin of the neck and can be used on skin with color. 

In general, I prefer chemical peels but any of these can be reasonable treatments in the right hands. 

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Neck skin

Alot of the lasers for skin tightening are not great. If you wnat bout a 20-30% improvement then this may be right for you.

Neck skin

Crepey Neck Skin

There are many lasers like Thermage and Titan that help tighten some of the skin but the effects are minimal.

The best solution would be to get Sculptra injections which can thicken the skin and make it look smoother, fuller and younger.

HOWEVER, BE VERY VERY CAREFUL IN CHOSING A PHYSICIAN WHO IS COMPLETELY COMFORTABLE WITH USING SCULPTRA IN THE NECK.

Regards

Crepey Neck Skin

Regards

Laser Treatment for Crepey Neck Skin

Without photos, it's difficult to determine the treatment to address your concern. It's best to begin by consulting with a surgeon in-person. The presence of banding down the front of the #neck, and, amount of excess skin and condition of your skin are among some factors which determine what treatments will best rejuvenate your neck . 

During your initial examination, your chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline. A weak #chin implies a lack of chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall #balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local #anesthesia. For individuals with signs of #aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.

However, you may want to consider Lite-lift™ which is an affordable, quick, and effective innovative facelift developed by board-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Larry Nichter and myself. The goal of the #LiteLift is to provide a less invasive natural looking option for both men and women desiring to refresh their appearance with less downtime and risks. The LiteLift® is a “real” facelift, which does address the underlying muscle, tissue and overlying skin.

This is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with stable skin elasticity, well-defined bone structure but showing early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™. All in all, Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient. 

A board certified plastic surgeon should evaluate both your anatomical features and aesthetic goals to suggest which procedure best suits your needs. In some cases there may be more than one option to choose from. If you are not a candidate at the time of your #consultation, your board surgeon can recommend non-surgical alternatives to address your concern.

Laser Treatment for Crepey Neck Skin

Crepey neck skin

Very common problem !

From your description, I believe skin tightening with Ulthera would give the most benefit without surgery.

Further external skin tightening could then be achieved with the Fractional Laser

Crepey neck skin

Very common problem !

Neck skin

it is impossible to reverse the changes of aging at the skin level. ematirx and ulthera can be helpful , but are an adjunct to surgery, not a rpelacement.

Neck skin

Neck Treatment Options

I would recommend scheduling an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. During the consultation, the doctor should assess your face and neck and be able to present the treatment options that are specific to you. Deka Laser resurfacing on light mode can help if there is significant sun damage and superficial fine lines. Not everyone is a good candidate for Laser treatments, however there are other options that might be worth considering. Ulthera is a non-invasive treatment that helps to tighten the face and/or neck by using ultrasound to stimulate collagen at a very deep level under the skins surface. After a consultation, you will know exactly what it is that you are a candidate for which will make exploring your options much easier.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Neck Treatment Options

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Laser treatment for neck laxity

Laser treatments are not good option for neck skin laxity. They improve the quality of superficial skin but not the overall laxity of skin. Your best option at this age is a minimally invasive lower face and neck lift to have a long lasting results. This can be performed with local anesthesia and twilight sedation.

Laser treatment for neck laxity