Laser Liposuction - How Should I Prepare for the Procedure?

What are the preparations I should follow before laser liposculpture? What I should stop taking or doing, such as drinking coffee, alcoholic beverages, caffinated beverages, etc.?

Preparing for Liposuction

First start with your consultation. If you are a smoker, it is recommended to stop smoking well in advance of surgery since smoking can impair the healing process. Certain medications that increase the risk of bleeding such as Aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, and some vitamins/homeopathic regimens should be discontinued before undergoing liposuction surgery. We will provide you with additional preoperative instructions.

Liposuction surgery is performed on an outpatient basis. Be sure to arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery and to stay with you for the next 24 hours. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Things to do when getting ready for liposuction

Your surgeon or his office should give you a detailed list of instructions before your liposuction procedure. You will want to follow your surgeons directions. 

If it is helpful here is part of the list we give to the patients in my office: 

-Prearrange a ride home from your surgery.

-Prearrange for a companion to stay with you in the hours following the surgery.

-Prearrange to take time off work. Generally my patients take a week off after the procedure.

-Wear comfortable clothing to the surgery center.

-Smoking can seriously impede the healing process. You should stop smoking one month prior to your procedure.

-Do not ingest any 'herbal' medications or remedies for at least 2 weeks prior to surgery.

-Stop taking aspirin or aspirin products at least 2 weeks prior to surgery.

-Do not eat after midnight the evening prior to your surgery.

-Before your surgery we will provide you with prescription for pain medication to take after your procedure. Fill this prescription prior to your surgery.

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction preop preparation

Laser liposuction is an excellent way to recontour the body. I would advise my patients to eat healthy, add vitamins to their diet, and avoid blood thinners, among other important preop advice.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Preparation before liposculpture

you should always consult with your physician as to what their guidlines are for preparation before a liposculpture procedure, however there are certain guidlines i give my patients prior to their procedure. i always get a detailed medical history and a list of their medications as some medications may need to be stopped prior to the surgery as they can interact with the anesthetic solution we infuse. i have my patients stop any medication that will thin their blood prior to the procedure. this would include aspirin and most anitinflammatory medications. I ask my patients to hydrate themselves prior to and after the procedure by drinking plenty of water. if you are a smoker, i recommend quiting at least 2 weeks before and after the procedure and preferably permanently as healing can be significantly delayed and impaired from smoking. it is best not to drink alcoholic beverages the day before or the day of the surgery and as long as you are taking any pain medication afterwards. typically patients may resume excercise two weeks after their procedure. although every doctor has their own guidlines, hopefully these are some that will be helpful.

Jennifer S. Landy MD
Tampa Ophthalmologist