Is it ok to have my nuva ring (birth control) in during a tummy tuck and breast augmentation?

If not, would it be ok to take it out only 2 days prior to my surgery?? I'm scheduled for my surgery this Monday..

Birth control and surgery

It's important to let your surgeon know if you're on birth control, as there are certain risks related to blood clot formation.  Although you may be able to undergo a procedure while using birth control, in some situations you're surgeon may want you to be off it for a certain period of time.  Make sure they are fully aware of all your medications prior to surgery.

Keith M. Blechman, MD

Is it okay to have my Nuva ring in during a tummy tuck and breast augmentation.

Thank you for sharing your excellent question. Though there is a risk of increased complications with contraceptive use, the risk is often small enough that patient's do not stop their birth control for surgery.  That said the best determination would require knowledge of your full medical history, especially with regards to smoking as the combination of smoking with birth control has a greater risk of clot formation.  DIscuss this with your surgeon. 

Nuva ring

Hello and thank you for your question.  Please call your surgeon immediately.  Many surgeons recommend stopping this for one month prior to surgery.  Every surgeon has their own protocol, but safety must be your top priority.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Is it ok to have Nuba ring during a TT and BA procedure?

Thank you for the question. It is an extremely important topic and safety always comes first especially during an elective procedure like a TT and BA. It is well described in scientific literature that birth control pills and devices should ideally be stopped for 1 month prior to surgery and for 2 weeks postoperatively. The risks and benefits  of doing this should be discussed with your board certified plastic surgeon and an alternative method of birth control should also be discussed with your gynecologist. Good luck Dr Shah.

Birth control and tummy tuck

Hormonal birth control can increase chances of a blood clot in certain patients. This is a small increase in risk but should be discussed with your PS.

Thank you for your question. This is an important question. OCP can cause an increased risks of blood clot formation. You should inform your surgeon of all medications you are taking prior to surgery and discuss with him or her whether or not to stop those medications. In my practice, patients who meet certain risk factors get pre-op and/or post-op anti-coagulation medications to prevent blood clots. You can ask your surgeon if these options are appropriate for you.

Nuva ring and surgery

I think that you should discuss this with your surgeon as there may be an increased risk with potential clot formation.  Best of luck.