Medicaid for fat transfer breast augmentation?

After having my kids I have excess skin that instead of getting rid of I would want it transferred to my breast. It's caused me to fall under depression and I know with this procedure changing my appearance I'd feel better about myself. So I was wondering what I would have to do to get Amerigroup Medicaid to help me cover this?

Natural breast augmentation with fat grafting

I appreciate your question

I perform a natural breast augmentation with fat. This can be removed from any unwanted areas including the breast itself as part of my lipo-lift procedure. I perform the fat grafting in multiple planes including under the muscle to give the best, most natural enhancement. Fat grafting is a great solution for someone who wants to bring their breast size up a cup or so and use natural tissue vs an implant. However, it can also be combined with an implant or used as a secondary procedure to fill in areas that are flat or thin. It should not affect nipple sensation, mammograms or breast feeding. It can be a little lump or hard at first but tends to soften over time.

Insurance doesn't cover this unless for breast cancer

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Medicaid

No insurance company, including Medicaid, will pay for elective cosmetic surgery on the breasts. However, you may be able to find some assistance with reduced surgical fees if you go to a plastic surgery training facility.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Options To Treat Post-Partum Breast Ptosis

Your question raises a couple of interesting points.  The first is that if you have redundant breast skin after your pregnancies, it is unlikely that fat transfer alone will address this issue. Most likely, you will need to have a mastopexy, whether or not volume is restored with fat transfer or placement of a breast implant, although the latter would probably supply more support to the breast than the former.  The second point is that, in our experience, although the changes in breast shape that you describe are typical after pregnancy, medical insurance will not cover aesthetic breast surgery postpartum.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS