Should I lose weight before or after fat transfer to the breasts? Will my breasts deflate if I lose weight after surgery?

I'm 22 years old, 5'2" tall, and weigh 115lbs. I'm a 34B and really do not want to get implants so I've decided fat transfer is my best bet to get up to a C cup. I'm also getting personal training at the moment and will be losing weight and gaining muscle in the next couple of months. Should I get the procedure sooner rather than later? I'm worried that the surgeon will not be able to extract enough fat for the desired result but have also heard it's better to lose weight before this surgery.

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Based on your description, you may benefit from fat transfer. Fat is living tissue and, like a farmer planting seeds in a garden, requires even distribution to maximize its survival. This is very technique dependent and is thoroughly described in both video and text through the links below to my website. Fat can be unpredictable with regard to its volume, however, once integrated into the tissues, it has the potential to last a lifetime. Based on the volume available and the parameters of your breast, you may or may not experience significant changes in your final outcome. Brava expansion may be necessary to provide additional volume retention, however, this modality is currently not available as the company is no longer producing the domes.

I would certainly encourage you to be near your ideal body weight for fat transfer and not gain weight as is often suggested. Fat cells are not unlike balloons where a fixed number exist. Gaining weight only serves to increase the volume of the balloons and not their number. This would actually make heavier patients less ideal for transfer as it would leave them with a fewer number of larger balloons rather than a greater number of small ones which would be ideal. I would certainly recommend that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in all these matters. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  If you plan to lose weight it is best to lose it before  breast surgery.  Losing weight after breast surgery can change your result because the breast contain a significant amount of fat and with weight loss the breast can become smaller and sag.  This includes transplanted fat thus he should not lose weight after a fat transfer to the breast or your breasts will lose volume.

Breast fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question. About 60-70% of the grafted fat survives.  At 6 months you will have a good idea of your results. Some women have a second or third procedure which continues to increase your volume safely. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. 

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

Obtain a stable weight and then seek out a plastic surgeon with a reputation for performing these procedures effectively in thinner patients.

Should I lose weight before fat transfer to my breasts?

if you are considering fat transfer to your breasts I recommend going in for an evaluation by a board-certified plastic surgeon before losing weight and attaining your goal weight. Many times it takes more than one fat transfer session to gain the results that you're  wanting to achieve. Sometimes it's not even possible to achieve the results that you want with fat transfer alone and implants may be preferable. In either case it's best to be evaluated so that you can have an in person examination to determine if you're a good candidate for either procedure. Good luck !

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fat

It would be best for your weight to be stable prior to surgery. I would recommend loosing all the weight you want, then consider the surgery. You will need donor fat for the surgery to be successful.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon