How much pressure affects recent fat grafts? And how long before vascularization?

I just had a 2nd round fat transfer 3-days ago. Today my 5-year old nephew briefly leaned onto my chest with his hand for a moment. Wondering if this level of pressure would have any adverse effect. Also wondering how long before I can return to my desk job and how long before vascularization begins. Thanks for your help.

Fat Transfer Facts--Add PRP/Sculptra for best results

Light pressure, as you described, won't change your results. I recommend following up with your Dr. about the protocol for returning to work. I suggest PRP/sculptra post fat transfer to maintain the results.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Fat transfer

It sounds by your description that you had fat injected to your chest. Light pressure should not be a problem.  You should ask your surgeon when it is ok to return to work.

Fat grafting / Fat transfer

Thanks for your question. I'm sure that brief pressure is completely harmless, and will not affect your results. The fat cells rely on neighboring capillaries to provide them with nutrients and oxygen. Slowly, they will develop their own dedicated blood supply too. That process takes a while, and that is why some of the fat transferred does not survive and goes away. You can return to your light activity within days as this is not likely to make a difference. I hope that helps a bit. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer

Thank you for posting your question. The brief and relatively light pressure will not affect your result at all. Recovery time after fat transfer depends on the sites where fat was obtained from and transferred to. Many patients can resume normal activities immediately after the procedure and, in most cases, are back at work within a week. I recommend asking your physician directly as he/she may have more specific post-op instructions for you. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon