Lower face lift and neck lift under local anesthesia. Is it effective?

I have read a great many reviews from people who have said, if they had it to do over, they would not have the lower facelift and necklift under local anesthesia again because the shots were too painful and they could also feel some of the cutting. Is this normal? If so, I definitely will not be going that route.

Anesthesia Used During a Facelift

#Facelifts and ancillary procedures are usually performed as #outpatient in a surgery center. A one night stay in post-operative care facility may be advisable in some cases. But, local #anesthetic combined with intravenous sedation is usually used. This will allow the patient to sleep through most of the procedure. General anesthesia is available upon request however is usually not necessary.
The Lite-lift™ is generally performed with a local anesthetic and medication by mouth, which will keep you comfortable during the procedure and allow for an easier recovery.
For more information about Lite-lift™, I welcome you to visit my website link provided below.

Neck pain local anesthesia

In my experience of more than 30 years and busy practice in facial surgery, most of my cases are done with sedation and local anesthesia. In the great majority of the cases the patients don’t even remember going into the operating room but I always give the option of choosing the type of anesthesia they would like to have.

Yes and Yes

Hi Mikim6393

It's a more and more commonly asked question.

What makes the Concept™ Facelift so revolutionary is that it has the same results as traditional facelift methods but can have you back to work within days rather than months. If you are looking for a procedure that will flatter and rejuvenate you, without too stark a difference post operatively, then this facelift is for you.

Make sure you do your homework and find a reputable and experienced surgeon and good luck.

Surgeon Experience Factor

Local anesthesia can be performed comfortably in the majority in facelift surgeries.  However not all surgeons are alike and those with the largest experience with local anesthesia technique tend to provide more successful painless local anesthesia.  So it is important to ask your doctor if he has good success with local.

David Q. Santos, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift and Local Anesthesia

I learned from people who did this under local which you can do I just find that going to sleep is not bad if you have a great anesthesiologist.  Best, Dr. Eemr.

Lowe face and neck lift under local anesthesia

Lower face and neck lift can be performed under any form of anesthesia, local, sedation or general. By far patients are much more comfortable under sedation or general anesthesia.
The procedure can be performed under local anesthesia easily but most patients will tell you that it was too painful. The cost is not that much more under combination of IV sedation and local rather than local alone, and patient's are very comfortable and experience no pain at all. General anesthesia is useful for very anxious patients but will be more expensive.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed mnay facelifts over the past 30 years many of which are our minimally invasive lower facelift (SMAS lift).  The vast majority of our patients select to have this facelift under local anesthetic.  We do these several times a week and patients are very comfortable.  The local injection can be separated so each side is injected separately and there are ways to make the patients comfortable during the few minutes that the injections take to perform.  We play classical music during the surgery and most patients drift off once they see that the procedure is without pain or discomfort.  In fact, our patients say the exact opposite of what you have posted rather stating that "they would do it again in a heartbeat."  We strive to make our patients comfortable and have been performing this particular version of the lower SMAS facelift for almost 15 years.  We offer general anesthesia for the 90 minute procedure for patients that desire that approach.  I have included information about our minimally, invasive SMAS facelift below.  

I shape the face with every facelift that I perform following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.  Or creating angularity (chiseled look) to the cheeks, chin and mandibular angle for male faces.

Jowls are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured. The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

Hope this helps.

Facelifts under local anesthesia

Thanks for sharing.  Performing a full lower face and neck lift is not routinely done under local anesthesia. That said, I have performed these procedures thousands of times under local anesthesia and oral sedation. (I also perform facelifts under iv sedation) My patients are highly satisfied with this local anesthesia modality and with their surgical results. They say the recovery is easier as well.  Yes you will feel some of he numbing shots and after that you should not feel anything.  It is easier than you think. The majority of my patients do fall  asleep under oral sedation. There is an art and skill to this method. Make sure your surgeon has performed many face and neck lifts this way. Speak with your surgeon again to review your anesthetic options. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Lower face lift and neck lift under local anesthesia. Is it effective

When doing a procedure such as that under only local anesthesia it is inevitable that the surgeon will get to an area where there is inadequate anesthesia. The patient can be injected with more local anesthesia at that point, but some things, like cauterizing a blood vessels, which means coagulating it with heat, can still be uncomfortable. At times the degree of tissue that can be adjusted is limited by the use of only local anesthesia. Smaller procedures are more easily done under local but a full cheek lift and neck lift can leave the patient uncomfortable at times, especially when having to hold their face and neck in a position for a long time.

Julio Garcia, MD

Lower face and neck lift under local anesthesia

Yes its done regularly and depends on surgeon preference and training. There are many surgeons that do so (all mine are done this way)- and my patients are comfortable during the procedure with less nausea and other risks associated with general anesthesia afterwards. I perform all my procedures, upper and lower eyelids, facial fat transfer, laser skin resurfacing, neck lifts, facelifts, all under local anesthesia. 

If you have concerns about how you will feel during the procedure, ask to speak to some of the surgeons patients or read the reviews online about patients experiences. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS