Should I stick with 270cc or should I aim higher? (photos)

Help me decide if 270 is good or should I push for more? I need help deciding how many ccs would be appropriate for my body. My surgeon and I have discussed and agreed upon high profile saline implants submuscularly. I am 5'2" and weigh around 105. He's suggesting 250-270cc. I think it's a great size but I don't want to hesitate going larger and being upset with myself about it. I also don't want to go too big because I work in a high stress high pace environment that requires a lot of physical activity.

Implant selection

Hello, it sounds like you are balancing not wanting to go to small, but on the other hand not having large implants interfere with your activities of daily living.  If you are wondering whether larger implants would still be appropriate I would suggest discussing this with your surgeon.  They have done a proper examination and are best able to provide this advice.

Breast implants

Thank you for your question and photos.  I think that any sized implant that you choose in the suggested range would look excellent given your measurements.  Be sure that you have chosen a surgeon who is board-certified in plastic surgery and is aware of your realistic goals.  Also, I recommend that you focus more on the "look" than the size when "trying on" the implants.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Size implant?

I would suggest that you try out the 250cc and the 270cc and see which one "looks" better on your body with either gel inserts or the at home rice method. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Should I stick with 270cc or should I aim higher?

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Breast Implants

Hi AB,
You have a small frame, and I think you are on the right track.  But, yes, most people wish they were bigger down the road.  Here are a few tips for you because this is perhaps the hardest decision for a patient to make, as well as the surgeon. Also see the video attached to my answer. We spend up to two hours for our BA consults to be sure there is careful communication. We do a full exam in front of a full-length mirror taking six exact measurements.We put your photos on a large computer screen for imaging, and go over your “ideal-size” photos. We then save this information to your password protected “web account.”
First and foremost the implant should fit the dimensions of your breast and tissue cover. Balancing the implant to your over-all body shape and tissue cover is essential.The main thing is to have the diameter of the implant fit the diameter of your breast "foot print". The average size chosen over our last 7,000 breast implants was “350cc”.BUT, 90% of our patients tell us they wish they were bigger a year after BA.(We will see you every year for routine checks at no charge.) It’s like your mind incorporates the "new you" into your own self-image over a period of time. Cup size estimates can be misleading, but I generally advise patients that they will experience an increase of approximately one cup size per 200 cc. You can try on implants in the office by placing them into a special bra.The implant is also flattened somewhat when under the muscle, so it is a good idea to bump it up a bit. Approximately 1-ounce (25cc) is added to the final volume to account for flattening of the implant in the partial sub-muscular pocket. Once you decide on a size you like, then add on 25cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your tissues.Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy. Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer. Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan.Keep in mind larger implants tend to have more problems over the years.Since silicone implants wrinkle less than saline implants, they might be your best bet.
You can also approximate this at home by measuring out an equivalent amount of rice placed into a cutoff foot of old panty-hose, and put this in your bra.Wear this around the house for a while, and see what you think.Implant size must square with assessments of tissue cover, breast diameter, and chest wall width. Multiple measurements of your chest wall are taken (seven in total). Implant size selection has been an issue of much discussion.
Therefore, I use a wide variety of methods, but the implant size is always established preoperatively.Also, patients are advised to bring reference photos demonstrating their ideal size and shape. A photo album of patient pictures is maintained to assist them. These photos ultimately help in determining where the implants will be placed, since they can be shifted inside (to provide more cleavage), to the outside, up or superiorly, and down or inferiorly during surgery. In determining the final size selection, I always place the highest priority on the preoperative measurements and potential tissue cover.Finally, your verbal requests are factored into the analysis.
We use the quick-recovery approach, so click on the web reference link below to have this explained and you can see the list of Quick-Recovery (Flash-Recovery or Rapid-Recovery) Breast Augmentation articles from peer-reviewed surgery journals.It is a surgical procedure that uses special instruments and techniques to minimize tissue damage and avoid touching the ribs. It causes far less trauma to surrounding tissue than traditional approaches, and it dramatically reduces pain and recovery time. In published studies of BA patients, 95-percent of women interviewed after the procedure returned to normal daily activities within 24-hours. Quick-recovery BA is not a “gimmick.”These specialized techniques, which actually speed recovery and get you back to your daily routine, kids and work, are published in our plastic surgery journals.Because these PS journals are “peer-reviewed” and edited, they are the gold-standard in our field as being valid science. Therefore, these are sound techniques, not marketing hype.
Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Also, ask if the PS has an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year. Be sure the PS has been in practice for a while, about 20-years might be a good gauge.Does the PS offer all three incisions?Discuss the implant type (gel or saline), shaped "gummy bear" or non-shaped, smooth or textured, implant pocket (over or under the muscle) and the "quick-recovery approach."Ask to see their before and after photos if you didn’t see any on their website. If they are experienced, they should have several 100 breast implant patients for you to view. I would also recommend that your doctor offer you the chance to talk to past patients who would be happy to discuss their experience with you. You need to feel comfortable, so make sure the environment is safe as in an accredited surgery center. Also, ask a prospective surgeon if he or she has ever published journal articles in professional peer-reviewed journals, which they can provide you.
All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Sizing is very difficult from a picture

Dear AB823, As a plastic surgeon for 25 years I must say I can't thell you what size would be good for you based on a picture alone.  You have several interesting things of note and remember this is no substitute for an in person consultation.  It looks like you have 2 very different breasts with one breast having a well defined crease but both breasts fairly high on your chest wall.  It would help to know your base diameter and your nipple to crease distance to help determine the size.  Also have you ever been pregnant?

I am not a fan of high profile implants especially saline, but do consider them in patients built like you.  However I would recommend silicone as my implant of choice.  You also need some internal work to release the creases to make them more even.  Good luck if you have your surgery scheduled and if not you might want to get several opinions before proceeding.  Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton.

How to pick your implant size

Thank you for your question. I recommend you find a surgeon who has a reliable sizing system that can give you a good idea about what each size would look like. This way you have some input into the process and will help guide your surgeon into matching you with the right implant size. Once in surgery your surgeon should have sizers available to finalize the size and help you achieve the look you desire. 

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

If you feel a slightly larger implant would suit your taste better, there should not be any drawback to going slightly larger.  Use the sizing method you showed to try on implants in the 300-325 cc range to see if you like them.  

I recommend trying on implant sizers! But I might recommend 350 cc HP implants...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How big an implant

I think you could go a little bigger than 270.The advantage of saline is that your doctor can add additional saline but I would recommend silicone since they are more natural.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon