Is it normal to have some eye asymmetry? (photos)

I feel disheartened when I look at myself in pictures as one eye is smaller than the other. I would love a professional opinion as it makes me feel so self conscious and unattractive that I'm considering some sort of surgery. I feel that when I wear makeup it masks the asymmetry but I don't wear makeup often. I don't know if it's normal or unusual. Thank you.

Is it normal to have some eye asymmetry?

Thank you for your question. The simple answer is yes, it is perfectly normal to be asymmetrical. In fact it would be abnormal to be perfectly symmetrical and if you look closely at all of the famous models they are asymmetrical. It is very easy to be critical of ourselves but you are well within the realm of normality. 
Regards
Dr Guy Watts

it is perfectly normal to be asymmetrical If you are complaining about dropping of the eyelids or lower eyelid bagginess then you might be a good candidate for the Laser Blepharoplasty operation. Although the plastic surgery era is highly developed and there are new treatment models for several other procedures; there is still no efficient alternative of blepharoplasty operation. If you are not comfortable with the look of your eyelids blepharoplasty operation may be a solution for you.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hi. You need to understand a very basic concept.......symmetry in the human being does not exists. Whether breasts , eyes or any other part, it is rare to find symmetry. Had you not mentioned it, I would not have noticed anything. Be careful that you don't start down the road of cosmetic surgery that may never achieve the symmetry you are looking for. Good luck

Yes. Eye and facial asymmetry are very common.

Dear Sabinarai218;

If you analyze most faces, you will see that there is asymmetry. The face is built primarily from a left and right “building block” that meets in the middle. Often the left and right parts are not identical, but for most people, close enough, so there is no obvious difference.

But in many, you can quickly spot the difference if you are looking carefully. Often, one brow tends to be higher than the other or one eye socket lower than the other. Some people have a face in which the lower third (jaw) does not line up with the upper third (forehead), and so the middle third of the face has to be asymmetrical. The nose which sits and spans both right and left facial portions, is then crooked. All of these things become obvious when you look very carefully, but in the course of our daily lives, we rarely analyze faces as is done in a consultation, of course.

You should have a professional opinion if this asymmetry presents an issue or problem. Understand that since it's so common, it may not be a major issue for you; only you know.

It is good to see specialists who do a lot of eyelid surgery. Ophthalmic plastic surgeons or eye surgeons who further specialize in plastic and reconstructive surgery of the eyelids and brow would an excellent specialist with whom to consult. I am a big believer in super-specialists which is a medical, not advertising, term.

In modern medicine, knowledge about a particular specialty doubles every 18 months. No surgeon can master all the 135-plus plastic surgery procedures. In cosmetic facial surgery (a subdivision of plastic surgery) a menu of just a half-dozen procedures is considered proper. Such a narrow practice is the manner of the cosmetic surgery super-specialist, where the surgeon’s practice is more of a boutique than a department store. Such cosmetic facial surgeons have generally served an additional training period -- beyond board certification -- known as fellowship training. That surgeon, once he or she became a specialist, has worked at the side of one or more Master Surgeons for a year, studying and performing only several procedures.

Fellowship is the highest caliber credential available. Look for those who are fellowship-trained and board certified.

Another super-important element of the best consultations: Computer Imaging. Here’s how that works: photos are taken of you as you are and uploaded onto a special computer system that can morph your present appearance into an anticipated after-surgery picture. (The technology is also known as Computer Morphing.) Such imaging is an incomparable learning tool because it provides a forum for doctor-patient agreement on an after-surgery result that would satisfy you and is a result the doctor can deliver.

After all, cosmetic surgery is 100% visual. It's about appearance but without visuals, everything is left to the imagination. To anticipate a successful outcome, there must be a meeting of the minds between surgeon and patient. Why waste your time on a consultation in which the surgeon can’t demonstrate what he envisions as the outcome? Would you buy a painting without seeing it? In my opinion, a consultation without computer imaging is nearly worthless.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Robert Kotler, MD

Asymmetry is normal.

It is normal to not be totally symmetric. We are always our worse critic and this asymmetry is most likely only apparent to you. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Normal asymmetry vs. Ptosis

Some facial asymmetry is expected. Up to 70% of the general population has some degree of facial asymmetry..eyes, ears.. 
By looking at your picture it seems that one eyelid (the eye on the side opposite of your piercing) is a bit lower than the other one. That may be caused by what we call Ptosis. I would recommend a consultation with a specialist because if in fact it is the case, then surgery can fix that issue.  

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD, FACS