How long does blepharoplasty last?

I had blepharoplasty and chin tuck on November 2012 and a touch up a year later on upper & lower lids. I went back for a consultation in August of this year, 2016, and it was suggested another touch up to upper and lower lids, a brow lift, and lower face lift (to help with jowels). My questions are.... how long does upper and lower eye lid surgery last and is it possible that during that amount of time I need an eyebrow lift when I didn't in 2012?

Results Should Last Years

Eyelid surgery results should last for many years — and for the rest of your life, you will always look better than you would have without surgery. However, the aging process does continue after having cosmetic surgery. Without photos or knowledge about the details of your previous surgeries, it's not possible for me to say whether you need a follow-up upper and lower eyelid surgery. If you undergo a brow lift, that may produce a slightly more rested and alert appearance without additional eyelid surgery.  

Browlift or Blepharoplasty

The eyes are often the first place to show signs of aging.  There are two reasons the upper eyelids can appear tired.  This appearance can be the result of redundant upper eyelid skin or relaxation and descent of the brow.  Frequently, and upper blepharoplasty is needed first and a browlift can be performed 5-10 years later.  There can be great variability in the timing and order of these procedures depending on one's anatomy, hereditary factors and lifestyle factors.

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brows becoming a factor in eyelid appearance

As people age it is common to have some descent of the brows.  When this begins to happen the heavier brow tissue enters the orbit and pushes down on the finer upper lid skin.  It is entirely possible that the changes you are seeing now are mostly related to changes in brow position.  I usually find that results from an upper eyelid blepharoplasty are quite long-lasting, at least 10 years.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long should an upper and lower blepharoplasty last?

Generally if there is no brow ptosis (drooping of the eyebrows) then an upper blepharoplasty lasts about 5-10 years in most patients.  That is not to say that gradual re-stretching of the skin may occur and if there is any degree of brow ptosis that "bunching" of the upper eyelid skin may occur to some degree.  Surgery results don't last to a certain point then "drop off a cliff" as it is a gradual process.  Gravity is relentless on our bodies and ongoing aging occurs right after the surgery is over.  Lower eyelid fat blepharoplasty generally lasts longer on the order of 10 years or more.  If skin is removed from the lower eyelids then gravitational forces on the midface and lower eyelids can re-stretch the tissues downward in under 10 years.  Some patients who undergo upper skin blepharoplasty will notice their brows will droop some after surgery as they no longer subconsciously have to pull upward on the brow tissues to lift the upper eyelid skin out of the way.  Without seeing you in 2012 and how it looks now it is hard to render an opinion on the "need" for a brow lift at this point.   Most patients undergoing lower facelift surgery have improvement of the jowls for 7 years or longer, but patient skin types, overall health, sun-damage/exposure, and genetics can cause variations in aging and surgical success as well as longevity.  Seek out a well-respected surgeon in your community with great reviews and if possible with experience from friends or family members you know.    Best regards.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

How long does blepharoplasty last?

Hello Sandrarou,The results from a blepharoplasty should last between 5 and 10 years before your start noticing some of the signs of aging your original surgery corrected.  Having a touch up one year later and then recommended another touch up three years later would definitely not be expected.  As far as your question about now needing a brow lift, the need for that can happen over a 5 year period.  A lot of that would depend on your anatomy.  Furthermore, a brow lift may be the better treatment instead of a tuck up eyelid procedure, depending on how things look.  Since it sounds like you are a little skeptical of your surgeon, you may consider getting a second opinion from a facial plastic surgeon to help determine what is best for you.  I hope that helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Touch up or revision eyelid surgery

Eyelid surgery generally does not need a revision for many years.  Exceptions to this include accelerated aging due to illness, or genetics.  It is possible that you were a borderline candidate for a browlift in 2012, but now are a true candidate for a browlift.  I would speak with your surgeon or with a facial plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon