After Cellfina, why should strenuous exercise be avoided? for how long? and what is considered strenuous?

I had Cellfina on Monday& am interested to understand the purpose of avoiding strenuous exercise for 2 weeks . My doctor told me I could walk the first week but avoid running or anything "strenuous" . The post op literature they gave me then said something different about avoiding anything strenuous for 30 days. (is a difficult aerobic class that includes small weights but a lot of jumping and squats/lunges worse post procedure than a spin class?&if so why, what is the purpose of avoiding this?)

Cellfina/Cellulite Treatment/Ultherapy/Thermi RF/Body Contouring/ Hi Definition Procedures

Thank you for you question.

Cellfina is an FDA approved minimally invasive procedure that reduces the appearance of cellulite for at least two years on the buttocks and back of the thighs of women.

It works by releasing the internal bands that cause the cellulite dimpling and so we have not seen any fat atrophy. You should not see much of a difference with weight gain or loss but this also has not been studied.

Other areas of the body with dimpling, it is important to make sure it is truly cellulite before treatment.

It is common to have swelling bruising and firmness after the procedure. This can last for a few weeks.

It is different than Cellulaze which is a laser. 

If you have had previous poor results with cellulaze, you can still do Cellfina.

Cellfina has shown 100% noticeable improvement and 96% satisfaction in all patients at 2 years. 

Cellfina is designed to be a one time procedure. 

It can be used on women with all skin types but caution should be taken if theres a history of keloiding.

It can also be combined with other treatments such as Thermi or

Ulthera if skin tightening is needed.

We have done Sculpsure and Coolsculpting if fat reduction is wanted, but its best to wait 3 months to see the results before proceeding.

It can also be done at the same time as other procedures such as liposuction and BBL or as a stand alone procedure in the office.

Since Cellfina outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Cellfina or other treatments are available to meet your goals. 

Take care,

Dr. Schwartz 

Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Cellfina Recovery

After treatment with Cellfina, it is important to avoid strenuous activity that can lead to increased swelling, bruising, or bleeding. While Cellfina is a minimally invasive procedure, it is still necessary to allow the body to heal from the procedure. Strenuous exercise would include running and other workout routines that would require a lot of energy and strength to perform. As you are recovering from treatment with Cellfina, consult with your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding any questions or concerns about when to resume your exercise routine. Congratulations on your recent procedure!

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Exercise recommendations post Cellfina Treatments

After your Cellfina treatment, you will leave the office wearing compressions garment to reduce swelling and pads to absorb drainage from your treatment sites.  You will be a little sore, however you may begin walking immediately after treatment and can resume light exercise the day post treatment.  You should wait to do heavier exercise for two weeks.  Light exercise includes activities such as walking on the treadmill, doing an elliptical machine, or working your upper body with a low-weight high rep workout.  Avoid any exercises that cause you to strain such as lifting heavy weights.  You will naturally want to avoid movements that cause friction on the skin because the treatment sites will be a little tender and pressure at these sites will cause a small amount of discomfort for the first week. 

Avoiding strenuous exercise is important to avoid extra swelling and the risk of seroma's.  

Christina Steil, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Post procedure exercise will cause vasodilation which will increase blood flow to your buttocks and posterior thighs. This could increase and prolong any swelling and bruising that can occur after having a Cellfina procedure. I would suggest two weeks recovery before doing anything too strenuous. Good luck!

Exercise after Cellfina

I agree with your physician. Walking during the first week after the procedure is appropriate. However, significant strenuous exercise right after the procedure may lead to more bruising and swelling. I think 30 days is too extreme. Use your best judgement after the first week. If it hurts or you notice increased swelling, then cut back your routine to allow for healing.

Cellfina

You are trying to avoid large increase in blood pressure initially after these procedure.  This will lead to more bleeding which results in more bruising and swelling in the treatment areas.  This is true for every procedure for the most part.

Avoid very strenuous exercise for a short while after Cellfina treatment

Depending on how much you had done, there will be some swelling and bruising. I agree that it is a good idea to avoid high impact exercise for about a week but weight lifting should be OK within a couple of days. Obviously biking or spinning will put a lot of stress right on that newly smoothed area and extend your recovery. It might also interfere with the beautiful final results - so skip the bike for a couple of weeks!

Diana L. Elias, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Exercise After Cellfina

While minimally invasive, Cellfina is a surgical procedure.  The likelihood of having a complication from exercise is low, but to minimize increased bruising I personally tell patients to wait a few days before returning to strenuous exercise.  For your specific example I would wait until the weekend and then resume.  Hope you are liking your results.  I am a big fan of this procedure.

Eric Minns, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina and Exercise

I usually let my patients return to full activity including exercise 2-3 days after Cellfina. I am not sure why you were told 2 weeks. However, it would be best to follow your physician's instructions and guidelines.

Exercising after Cellfina

No need to wait 2 weeks or 30 days. Most patients are back at the gym in the firs 3-5 days. Their main complaint is soreness. Results will not be affected.