After Cellfina, why should strenuous exercise be avoided? for how long? and what is considered strenuous?

I had Cellfina on Monday& am interested to understand the purpose of avoiding strenuous exercise for 2 weeks . My doctor told me I could walk the first week but avoid running or anything "strenuous" . The post op literature they gave me then said something different about avoiding anything strenuous for 30 days. (is a difficult aerobic class that includes small weights but a lot of jumping and squats/lunges worse post procedure than a spin class?&if so why, what is the purpose of avoiding this?)

In general, you should wait 1 to 2 weeks after having Cellfina™ before working out.

Many practitioners recommend a 1 to 2 week wait period before returning to strenuous exercise routines. It’s always best to follow your Cellfina™ technician's or plastic surgeon’s specific instructions regarding when you can work out and what he or she considers to be strenuous. If you aren’t sure, reach out to them for clarification. Exercising soon after having Cellfina™ should not affect your results, but it can exacerbate any bruising or swelling you may still be experiencing and can prolong the healing process.  

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Following Your Cellfina Treatment

Any #soreness, tenderness, or bruising will #resolve within a week. Patients can return to activities of daily living, to high-impact aerobic activity and may wear any clothing. Results can be seen in as little as three days post-op.  After the Cellfina™ cellulite treatment, patients can go about their day, but may want to take it easy for up to 24 hours. There have been no serious adverse events associated with our treatments such as Cellfina™. The most common side effects reported by patients in the FDA-approved pivotal study were #soreness and #bruising. Over 90% of patients had no bruising at four weeks after the cellulite procedure. For full product and safety information, including possible mild side effects.

Following Your Cellfina Treatment

Cellfian and exercise post treatment

Thank you for question. After most procedures like Cellfina and liposuction we have the patient avoid exercise for 2 weeks to decrease the chance of prolonged swelling and bruising. Each surgeon will have different recommendations based on their experience with procedure. I recommend after 2 weeks that the patient can gradually work back into their work out routine unless they have discomfort or still have a lot swelling or bruising. A lot of it is common sense, we don't want the recovery after any procedure to be prolonged by increasing the blood pressure or heart rate.

Cellfian and exercise post treatment

Exercise after Cellfina

The recommendations regarding post treatment instructions vary based on facility and physician recommendations, but we typically recommend avoiding exercise all together for 2 weeks, then avoiding exercise specifically to the buttocks/thighs for 2 more weeks.  While introducing exercise sooner will not hurt the outcome of your procedure, it will make your downtime (bruising/swelling) last longer.  As always, I would follow the recommendations of the provider who performed your treatment to ensure optimal outcomes.

Exercise after Cellfina

Activity after Cellfina

Cellfina is a minimally invasive procedure to reduce the signs of cellulite.  After the procedure you can have bruising and  swelling.  This can be exacerbated with strenuous exercise and increased activity after the procedure.  Excessive activity is anything that will increase your heart rate and also cause increased bruising and swelling.  Also straining and lifting anything over 30 pounds.  I typically tell patients to avoid doing this for two weeks after Cellfina  and to gradually increase activity.  I ask patients to avoid any activity that causes excessive pain in the treated area and if it does then don't do ti.   Your doctor may ask you to avoid these activity longer and  you should follow their instructions. 

Suzanne Yee, MD
Little Rock Facial Plastic Surgeon

Activity after Cellfina

Suzanne Yee, MD
Little Rock Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina/Cellulite Treatment/Ultherapy/Thermi RF/Body Contouring/ Hi Definition Procedures

Thank you for you question.

Cellfina is an FDA approved minimally invasive procedure that reduces the appearance of cellulite for at least two years on the buttocks and back of the thighs of women.

It works by releasing the internal bands that cause the cellulite dimpling and so we have not seen any fat atrophy. You should not see much of a difference with weight gain or loss but this also has not been studied.

Other areas of the body with dimpling, it is important to make sure it is truly cellulite before treatment.

It is common to have swelling bruising and firmness after the procedure. This can last for a few weeks.

It is different than Cellulaze which is a laser. 

If you have had previous poor results with cellulaze, you can still do Cellfina.

Cellfina has shown 100% noticeable improvement and 96% satisfaction in all patients at 2 years. 

Cellfina is designed to be a one time procedure. 

It can be used on women with all skin types but caution should be taken if theres a history of keloiding.

It can also be combined with other treatments such as Thermi or

Ulthera if skin tightening is needed.

We have done Sculpsure and Coolsculpting if fat reduction is wanted, but its best to wait 3 months to see the results before proceeding.

It can also be done at the same time as other procedures such as liposuction and BBL or as a stand alone procedure in the office.

Since Cellfina outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Cellfina or other treatments are available to meet your goals. 

Take care,

Dr. Schwartz 

Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Thank you for you question.

Ulthera if skin tightening is needed.

Take care,

Dr. Schwartz 

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Cellfina Recovery

After treatment with Cellfina, it is important to avoid strenuous activity that can lead to increased swelling, bruising, or bleeding. While Cellfina is a minimally invasive procedure, it is still necessary to allow the body to heal from the procedure. Strenuous exercise would include running and other workout routines that would require a lot of energy and strength to perform. As you are recovering from treatment with Cellfina, consult with your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding any questions or concerns about when to resume your exercise routine. Congratulations on your recent procedure!

Cellfina Recovery

Exercise recommendations post Cellfina Treatments

After your Cellfina treatment, you will leave the office wearing compressions garment to reduce swelling and pads to absorb drainage from your treatment sites.  You will be a little sore, however you may begin walking immediately after treatment and can resume light exercise the day post treatment.  You should wait to do heavier exercise for two weeks.  Light exercise includes activities such as walking on the treadmill, doing an elliptical machine, or working your upper body with a low-weight high rep workout.  Avoid any exercises that cause you to strain such as lifting heavy weights.  You will naturally want to avoid movements that cause friction on the skin because the treatment sites will be a little tender and pressure at these sites will cause a small amount of discomfort for the first week. 

Avoiding strenuous exercise is important to avoid extra swelling and the risk of seroma's.  

Post procedure exercise will cause vasodilation which will increase blood flow to your buttocks and posterior thighs. This could increase and prolong any swelling and bruising that can occur after having a Cellfina procedure. I would suggest two weeks recovery before doing anything too strenuous. Good luck!

Exercise after Cellfina

I agree with your physician. Walking during the first week after the procedure is appropriate. However, significant strenuous exercise right after the procedure may lead to more bruising and swelling. I think 30 days is too extreme. Use your best judgement after the first week. If it hurts or you notice increased swelling, then cut back your routine to allow for healing.

Exercise after Cellfina